|This Wikipedia page needs to be updated. Please update this Wikipedia page to reflect recent events or newly available information. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page.|
A quick FAQ about existing and future snapshots of the English Wikipedia.
- For information on German snapshots, see m:Wikipedia on CD/DVD and more detailed pages on de:WP.
- For information on multilingual snapshots, see pages here and on meta about the Mandrake collaboration (links?).
- To be created: a global page on meta about snapshots in all languages.
- User:BozMo & SOS Children offer the free Wikipedia for Schools which is 4500 hand chosen & checked articles available as a free download
- Wikipedia:Pushing to 1.0, a project about generating a reviewed layer for Wikipedia content, has side-discussions about [re]using snapshots of such a beast.
- Wikipedia:Stable versions looks are producing static and reviewed versions of articles most suitable from print at any given time.
- A collaboration with Mandriva (formerly Mandrakesoft) which is underway has led people to think about preparing a DVD of English Wikipedia content similar to the existing one of German content; this gave impetus to the Wikipedia:Image tagging project last fall but has not solved many other problems:
- finding good free software for reading/searching through such a snapshot; working out kinks in integrating this with a database dump
- effectively stripping and reformatting pages;
- removing articles with certain tags (vfd, et al)
- catching recent vandalism; searching through changes made in the past week and particularly those in the past few days for suspicious edits
- details for the image and multimedia dump; both auto-extraction of the appropriate files and attributions from en:WP or commons, and resizing images / storing multiple resized versions as necessary for the reader
- MediaWiki 1.5 includes routines to dump a wiki to HTML, rendering the HTML with the same parser used on a live wiki. (details of use?)