Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 16
- 1776 – American Revolutionary War: American colonists defeated British troops at the Battle of Harlem Heights on the island of Manhattan.
- 1940 – Second World War: Italy captured the town of Sidi Barrani, but its invasion of Egypt (Italian tanks pictured) progressed no further.
- 1961 – The United States' National Hurricane Research Project sought to weaken Hurricane Esther by seeding it with silver iodide, leading to the establishment of Project Stormfury.
- 1979 – Eight people escaped from East Germany to the West in a home-made hot air balloon.
- 2013 – A lone gunman fatally shot twelve people and injured three others in a mass shooting at the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command in Washington, D.C.