Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/September 15
- 1530 – According to the Dominican Order, three mysterious women brought the painting of Saint Dominic in Soriano to a friary in Soriano Calabro, Italy.
- 1831 – The John Bull (pictured), the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world, ran for the first time in New Jersey on the Camden and Amboy Railroad.
- 1944 – World War II: American and Australian forces landed on the Japanese-occupied island of Morotai.
- 1959 – Nikita Khrushchev began a state visit to the United States, becoming the first Soviet leader to do so.
- 2008 – Financial crisis of 2007–2008: The global financial services firm Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy while holding over $600 billion in assets, the largest such filing in U.S. history.