Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/July 31
- 1200 or 1201 – John Komnenos the Fat briefly seized the throne of the Byzantine Empire from Alexios III Angelos, but was captured and executed that night.
- 1667 – The Second Anglo-Dutch War ended with the signing of the Treaty of Breda.
- 1917 – First World War: The Battle of Passchendaele began near Ypres, Belgium, with the Allies aiming to force German troops to withdraw from the Channel Ports.
- 1954 – A team of Italian climbers became the first to reach the summit of K2 (pictured), the world's second-highest mountain.
- 2007 – The Troubles: Operation Banner, the British Armed Forces' operation in Northern Ireland, ended after 38 years with a military stalemate and ceasefire.