Wikipedia:Selected anniversaries/July 1
- 1520 – Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire: Conquistadors led by Hernán Cortés were nearly annihilated in the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan, and barely escaped by night.
- 1867 – As per the British North America Act, the Province of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia joined into confederation to create the modern nation of Canada.
- 1935 – The first Grant Park Music Festival, the United States' only annual free outdoor classical music concert series, was held in Chicago's Grant Park.
- 1979 – Sony introduced the Walkman portable audio player (pictured), changing music listening habits by allowing people to listen to their own choice of music on the move.
- 1999 – Legislative governance of Scotland was transferred from the Scottish Office in Westminster to the Scottish Parliament.