Wikipedia:Meetup/San Francisco/Harvest Moon Bridges, Palace, Boats and Tower Tour< Wikipedia:Meetup | San Francisco
Wiki Loves Monuments Harvest Moon Bridges, Palace, Boats and Tower TourEdit
Due to fog, this event ended up being a bit of a wash. User:Surjpanj and I still got a few good shots (because of the fog, in some cases). This is my favorite one from the night:
- Saturday September 29th, 6:30 pm, Hawk Hill lookout point in Marin Headlands above the Golden Gate Bridge. Moonrise is 8:19 pm.
Harvest moon photo tour
As part of Wiki Loves Monuments, I'm organizing a sunset and moonlight photo tour of bridges, a palace, boats and a tower on or near the San Francisco waterfront. We'll start with a sunset over the Golden Gate Bridge and make our way back into the city, shooting historic sites, including the Palace of Fine Arts, Fort Mason and the moored ships near Fisherman's Wharf, continuing to Coit Tower and finishing on Treasure Island with shots of the Bay Bridge.
Itinerary and travel
This ambitious photo tour will be by car. We'll start at the Hawk Hill lookout point on Conzelman Road above the Golden Gate Bridge to take sunset photos of the city and the bridge (a California State Historic monument) at 6:30 pm, then drive back into the city to take night photos of the Palace of Fine Arts. Then we'll drive on to Fort Mason, where we can shoot the Fort Mason Historic District and the various historic schooners and boats docked along The Hyde Street Pier. From there we'll proceed up Coit Tower to snap a few photos and take in the view, and then drive across the Bay Bridge to Yerba Buena Island for the remaining photos of the evening. From Yerba Buena and Treasure Islands, we'll get a wonderful views of the Bay Bridge and the San Francisco skyline. And all of it lit by a lovely full moon.
I have room for 5 people in my vehicle (including driver) so if we get a large turnout, we'll need to coordinate other drivers and vehicles. Let's see what kind of interest we get in the sign-up below and make those arrangements as needed.
I would recommend bringing extra batteries with your camera, a tripod and remote shutter release mechanism, some water, snacks and warm clothes in case the evening is brisk. I imagine some of us will still be shooting until midnight or later.
Thanks, Almonroth 00:16, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
Maps, lodging and other resourcesEdit
- National Register of Historic Places listings in San Francisco, California
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Marin County, California
- Google maps display of NRHP list in San Francisco
- Get the free Wiki Loves Monuments Android app
- -Almonroth 00:16, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- - Sounds cool!! SarahStierch (talk) 00:46, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
Likely to attendEdit
- - Maybe I will meet you at one of your in-SF location. As a personal choice I don't drive, which makes getting to the starting location difficult. Maximilianklein (talk) 07:20, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- -I'd be interested, but I don't drive either - so only if I could share with someone. SPat talk 21:08, 7 September 2012 (UTC)
- -Sounds fun! ~Zina~ (talk) 05:50, 9 September 2012 (UTC)
- For those of you above, I can provide a ride. I'll be finishing a reading at the California Institute of Integral Studies on 10th and Mission at 5:30 pm tomorrow and then getting a ZipCar at a garage nearby. Please send me a note here or on my phone at nine one seven eight two five three zero two seven to coordinate the ride out to the GGB. Thanks, Almonroth 23:36, 28 September 2012 (UTC)
- -I will try to attend. I have a small SUV that seats 4. But I can't promise for sure to be there.Newell Post (talk) 16:59, 11 September 2012 (UTC)
- -I am planning on attending with two friends. We will have our own car so we will meet everyone at the starting point.User:Tberning
- excellent, we'll look for you on Hawk Hill. Feel free to call me at the number above if we don't immediately find each other. Almonroth 17:44, 29 September 2012 (UTC)
- -If there is still space I would like to also join you.User:Surjpanj