The April 2015 NYC WikiWednesday salon and skill-share with the Wikimedia NYC community was held on Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm at Babycastles, a co-working space and gallery located near 14th Street / Union Square in Manhattan.
This is the first of hopefully a series of monthly "WikiWednesday" meetings at Babycastles, in addition to our weekend events.
- Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2015
- Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm (feel free to come by early as 6, stay later for social hour)
- Location: Babycastles. 137 W 14th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues), 2nd Floor, Manhattan, New York, NY 10011
- Nearest subway stations: 14th St. (1, 2, 3, F, M, and L trains), Union Square (4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, and R trains)
- After the main meeting: Pizza and refreshments and video games in the gallery.
Bring your own ideas!
Follow-up on ideas raised at recent wiki-eventsEdit
- Local Wikipedia Free Culture Alliance NYC projects
- Past, present, and future institutional partnerships with Wikipedia
- March: ArtAndFeminism Editathon @ MoMA & @ Babycastles - March 7-8
- March: Wikipedia Day NYC 2015 @ Barnard College - March 22
- April: AfroLatinoCROWD editathon - April 12
- Grants Inspire campaign for AfroCROWD and other projects
- Social media and documentation/newsletter review
- Wikimedia Conference 2015
- Wikipedia NYC College Educators Network and student scholarships for WikiConference USA
- Monthly: Regular WikiWednesdays @ Babycastles and timing
- May: Writing and Righting History editathon @ The New School - May 1
- May: Afrofuturism editathon @ The New School - May 3
- May: Veterans affairs and small business editathon @ NYPL Jefferson Market Library - May 7
- May: Black Lunch Table editathon @ Studio Museum in Harlem - May 17
- May: Selections from the Guggenheim Collection editathon @ Guggenheim - May 19
- May: Women of Jazz editathon by Linked Jazz @ NYPL Performing Arts - May 30
- June: ArtAndFeminism - Long Island City edition @ The Oracle Club - June 13
- June: Wikimedia NYC Annual Meeting @ Babycastles - June 10 ?
- July: Wiknic ?
- TBD: Black Brown & Digital editathon - July or later ?
Speakers, workshops and roundtable discussionsEdit
- Lady Librarians & Feminist Epistemologies - Shannon Mattern
5 minutes; includes other discussions and skill-shares
Sign up here!
- AfroCROWD update Aliceba (talk) 19:25, 5 April 2015 (UTC)
- Report backs and major take-aways from the April 10-13th, GLAM-Wiki 2015 Conference and AdaCamp 2015. OR drohowa (talk) 20:14, 29 April 2015 (UTC) (here's my etherpad)
- Update on WikiProject Information Architecture event April 25 in Minneapolis 18.104.22.168 (talk) 13:28, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- State of the WMF: who? ResMar 03:02, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
- David Goodman - ArbCom report
Recaps and AnnouncementsEdit
- ArtandFeminism Edit-a-thons
- Wikipedia Day
- AfroCrowd Edit-a-thons
- Kicked off in February, events in March, April
- Next event: AfricaCROWD in May, train-the-trainers on June 6th, Edit-a-thon on June 20th
- WMNYC is the fiscal sponsor of AfroCROWD - we are interested in being the fiscal sponsor for other projects
- Wikipedia Educators Network - WP:NYCEDU
- 3-Day Wikipedia Conference in Washington D.C. (Columbus Day weekend in October), at the National Archives
- Dilettante Army - doing an event on June 13th, interested in getting funding, Oracle Club in Long Island City
- Edit-a-thon announcements (see Meetup page)
- Should Wikimedia NYC have a staff person?
- What would a staff person for WMNYC do?
"Lady Librarians & Feminist Epistemologies" - Shannon Mattern Link to Shannon Mattern's blog post of talk: Wikipedia Feminist Epistemology Take 2 at Babycastles
- What are the epidemiological differences between Edit-a-thons - at MoMA and Babycastles?
- Megan Prelinger of the Prelinger Library (SF) - from San Francisco to Outer Space
- Suzanne Briet - making the case for 'grey literature'
- What does it mean to be a Wikipedia subject? How does Wikipedia have meaning?
- How does Wikipedia's aesthetics / architecture shape the way history is written off Wiki?
- How to infuse feminist sensibility in non-content development ways?
- How can Wikipedia show ways that ideas / history is developed collectively? [shoutout to linked Jazz project]
- Q: What would feminist theory on the encyclopedia be?
- ONE - Alexi - ResMar (talk)
- TWO - OR drohowa (talk)
- Dorothy's Etherpad with notes here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/wGiX1dSCUd
- Pharos (talk) 18:46, 5 April 2015 (UTC)
- Aliceba (talk) 19:23, 5 April 2015 (UTC)
- Becksguy (talk) 06:50, 6 April 2015 (UTC) (at 7 PM)
BrillLyle (talk) 10:34, 6 April 2015 (UTC)Regrets, got sick so can't come.... Erika
- Deckdeckdeck (talk) 13:52, 6 April 2015 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 07:07, 7 April 2015 (UTC)
- Lange.lea (talk) 15:32, 8 April 2015 (UTC)
- Siankevans (talk) 18:40, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
- Mozucat (talk) 18:43, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
- Nwhysel (talk) 19:24, 14 April 2015 (UTC)
- Ronald Sexton (talk)
- Megs (talk) 16:11, 16 April 2015 (UTC)
- kosboot (talk) 02:09, 19 April 2015 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:53, 21 April 2015 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 03:47, 23 April 2015 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 20:27, 24 April 2015 (UTC)
- NYCJosh (talk) 22:13, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- ResMar 23:12, 11 April 2015 (UTC)
- Copeland.powell (Jordan!)
- Vaparedes (talk) 23:26, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
- Rhododendrites (talk) 20:11, 5 April 2015 (UTC)
- Newyorkbrad (talk) 03:23, 8 April 2015 (UTC)
- ɱ (talk · vbm) 22:14, 11 April 2015 (UTC)
- Liz Read! Talk! 23:20, 13 April 2015 (UTC)
- Hadassahd (talk)
- Bearian (talk) 00:55, 15 April 2015 (UTC)
- A21sauce (talk)
- WindingRoad (talk) 15:30, 20 April 2015 (UTC)
- Moshe Constantine Hassan Al-Silverburg | Talk 18:49, 21 April 2015 (UTC)
- Djripley (talk) 05:21, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
- oscarpoon168 (talk)
- nafSadh did say 23:09, 4 April 2015 (UTC) Can't come on a weekday :(
- HullIntegrity\ talk / 14:13, 7 April 2015 (UTC) - Teaching a class, darnit. :(
- I unfortunately have classes on Wednesday from 6-7:15 PM and it's non-negotiable.Mitch32(The created world is but a small parenthesis in eternity.) 03:31, 8 April 2015 (UTC)
- I'll be able to attend some day. Probably on a day that I don't have examinations. Epic Genius (talk) 19:25, 12 April 2015 (UTC)
- Not only can I not make it this month, but as long as there are arrogant administrators who insist on ruining the structure of the articles we create, I probably wouldn't go even if I could. ---------User:DanTD (talk) 00:17, 15 April 2015 (UTC)
- Sorry. Can't come except on weekends. RoyGoldsmith (talk) 07:57, 15 April 2015 (UTC)
- Anarchyshake (talk) 00:21, 19 April 2015 (UTC) I have class during these exact times :( Definitely interested in future events tho
- Sorry. See you guys after the semester ends. --Rangilo Gujarati (talk) 18:34, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
- Seriously thought about this but I'm just not up to this today. Daniel Case (talk) 20:27, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
- BrillLyle (talk) 21:57, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
- PointsofNoReturn (talk) 22:04, 29 April 2015 (UTC)