|This is a failed proposal.|
Correspondence that directly relates to the project should not be considered private with the exceptions listed below:
- Do not post on-site any material that can contains privacy violations or harassment or violates our biographies of living persons policy. Privacy violations would include previously undisclosed real life names, IP addresses and email addresses etc. as per our Wikipedia:Harassment policy.
- The complete text of OTRS emails should not be posted without the express permission of the author. In some cases (such as when responding to OTRS messages) it may be possible to discuss the existence and content of a private message without revealing the actual content, but this should be done with caution.
- Correspondence between two individuals that is unrelated to actions taken on Wikipedia.
- Correspondence that is sent or received with the explicit expectation of confidentiality, e.g. Arbcom-l and Checkuser-l.
Of course, the posting of off-wiki correspondence on Wikipedia is discouraged unless it benefits the project.
Consideration should be given to paraphrasing the correspondence or quoting excerpts rather than the entirety of the correspondence.
- Wikipedia:Private correspondence (rejected proposal)
- Wikipedia:Confidential evidence (rejected proposal)
- Wikipedia:Requests for arbitration/Durova#Removal of private correspondence