WiB (Digital Terrestrial Television)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Teracom, inspired by earlier research, introduced a new system concept dubbed "WiB", that aims to improve frequency reuse in the UHF band while at the same time enable savings in both operating power and capital expenditures costs.
Simulation results hint at an attainable spectral efficiency of at least 1.37-1.6bit/s/Hz and a capacity increase in the range of 37-60%, while outlining possibilities for further optimizations.
The concept also hints at possible methods of convergence and coexistence with future 5G mobile communication technologies, although this was not the main focus of the proposal.
Innovation to broadcast towersEdit
- each tower should transmit the whole 224MHz of DTT spectrum, eliminating channel combiners
- a much lower transmission power is used (about 90% less)
- modulation is more robust (e.g., QPSK)
- relaxed equipment requirements
- synchronization similar to SFN, but with different content and orthogonal scattered pilots
Expected enhancements to receiversEdit
- frequency hopping (e.g., Time-Frequency Slicing)
- should be able to tune to wider channels (e.g., 32MHz instead of 8MHz)
- antenna discrimination considerations
- layered Successive Interference Cancellation (SIC), performance could be further improved when optimizing for QPSK vs. QPSK.
- variable bit rate services via multiple Physical Layer Pipes
- optional Interference Cancellation via Beamforming
- Yiyan Wu; Bo Rong; Khalil Salehian; Gilles Gagnon (21 June 2012). "Cloud Transmission: A New Spectrum-Reuse Friendly Digital Terrestrial Broadcasting Transmission System". IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting. IEEE. 58, Issue: 3: 329–337. doi:10.1109/TBC.2012.2199598. ISSN 1557-9611. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- E. Stare; J. J. Giménez; P. Klenner (16 March 2017). WIB – A new system concept for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) (PDF). IBC 2016. Amsterdam: International Broadcasting Convention. Archived from the original on 16 March 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- E. Stare; J. J. Giménez; P. Klenner (6 March 2017). "Technical Review: WiB – A New System Concept for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT)" (PDF). EBU Technology & Innovation. EBU. Retrieved 25 June 2017.