Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (Nigerian game show)
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? is a Nigerian game show based on the original British format of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. It first aired on 8 October 2004 and stopped temporarily on 25 June 2017. On 29 August 2017, a deal was secured with Airoplaycare behind the new sponsor after MTN Nigeria pulled out from the game show.
|Who wants to be a millionaire?|
|Created by||David Briggs, Mike Whitehill, Steve Knight|
|Presented by||Frank Edoho|
|Country of origin||Nigeria|
|Original network||NTA Silverbird TV|
|Original release||8 October 2004 –|
25 June 2017
Three lifelines were presented at the beginning of the game in order to aid contestants:
- 50/50: The computer eliminates two random wrong options, leaving the right option and the other remaining wrong option.
- Phone a Friend: The contestant calls one of their five prearranged friends, who provided their phone numbers in advance. The contestant has 30 seconds to read the question and four possible options to the friend, who then has the remaining time to offer input.
- Ask the Audience: Audience members use touch pads to designate what they believe the correct option to be. The percentage of the audience choosing each specific option is displayed to the contestant.
Top prize winnersEdit
- Chimuanya Aroma Ufodike - 10 million Naira (2009)
- Osazuwa Osahon Daniels - 5 million Naira (2009)
- Babatunde Oni Oladipo - 5 million Naira (2010)
- Nnaemeka Ubaekwena - 5 million Naira (2012)
- Winifred E. Karieren - 5 million Naira [First female to win 5 million] (2012)
- Sammy Abraham - 5 million Naira (2013)
- Olalowo Olatokun - 5 million Naira (2014)
Final question rightEdit
On September 11, 2009, a contestant named Aroma Ufodike became the first person to win the ₦10 million, and he is the only winner of the top prize of this game show. One of the questions related to celebrated Nigerian football referee Linus Mbah. Just like in Slumdog Millionaire Mr. Ufodike was able to answer the question from his personal experience. Mr. Mbah lived in the apartment above him or, as Mr. Ufodike put it - "He lives on top of me!"
The Nigerian variation of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire has special editions which are recorded and broadcast at certain times of the year. The Valentine Special, which comes up around February, features couples being placed on the hot seat to answer questions for the money prize together. The Children Special edition is used to commemorate the Children’s Day celebrations. It has featured children between the ages of 8–14 years of age from different backgrounds who came to play for 10 Million Naira in scholarships.
First table of prizes (2004-2017)Edit
The payout structure is as below.
|Question number||Question value|
|(Yellow zones are the guaranteed levels)|
- Watch Aroma Ufodike Win 10 million Naira! (Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? Nigeria) - YouTube (from Official Channel)
- 15 Questions, 10 Million Naira! Chimuanya ‘Aroma’ Ufodike slays ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’
- "'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' rewards children". The Guardian.