Who's Minding the Store?
Who's Minding the Store? is a 1963 American comedy film directed by Frank Tashlin and starring Jerry Lewis, Jill St. John, Agnes Moorehead, Ray Walston, Kathleen Freeman, and John McGiver. It was released on November 28, 1963, by Paramount Pictures.
|Who's Minding the Store?|
|Directed by||Frank Tashlin|
|Produced by||Paul Jones|
|Written by||Frank Tashlin|
Jill St. John
|Music by||Joseph J. Lilley|
|Cinematography||W. Wallace Kelley|
|Edited by||John Woodcock|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||1,414,588 admissions (France)|
Rich Mrs. Phoebe Tuttle (Agnes Moorehead) is upset that her daughter Barbara (Jill St. John) is engaged to a man beneath their social stature, Norman Phiffier (Jerry Lewis). Barbara has been keeping her heiress status to the Tuttle Department Store fortune a secret from Phiffier, knowing he is a proud person who refuses to marry her until he can afford to buy her a home.
Phiffier, a dog walker, is as awkward socially as he is physically. Mrs. Tuttle despises Phiffier but arranges for him to get a job at one of her stores. She directs the store manager, Quimby (Ray Walston), to assign Phiffier a series of impossible and outrageous tasks, hoping he will become frustrated and quit, proving to her daughter that he is worthless. Instead, even though he suffers a series of hilarious mishaps, Phiffier becomes more driven and determined, and Quimby realizes that "he's a man of character". Phiffier also meets and befriends John Tuttle (John McGiver), Phoebe's downtrodden husband, with neither suspecting each other's true identity.
After a final spectacular failure involving a superstrong vacuum cleaner and a dog trapped inside it, Barbara's identity as an heiress is revealed. Disappointed by the Tuttles' deception, Phiffier breaks off the engagement and quits, returning to his previous job as dog walker. In this way he finally proves his worth to Mrs. Tuttle, and after she, John and Barbara temporarily join the dog-walking service to deliver their apologies to Phiffier, he and the Tuttles reconcile.
- Jerry Lewis as Norman Phiffier
- Jill St. John as Barbara Tuttle
- Ray Walston as Mr. Quimby
- John McGiver as Mr. John P. Tuttle
- Agnes Moorehead as Mrs. Phoebe Tuttle
- Francesca Bellini as Shirley Lott
- Peggy Mondo as Lady wrestler
- Nancy Kulp as Emily Rothgraber
- John Abbott as Mr. Orlandos
- Isobel Elsom as Hazel, a Dowager
- Kathleen Freeman as Mrs. Glucksman
- Fritz Feld as Irving Cahastrophe, the Gourmet Manager
- Milton Frome as Francois, the Driver
- Mary Treen as Mattress Customer
- Dick Wessel as Traffic Cop (credited as Richard Wessel)
Who's Minding the Store? was filmed from March 25 to May 22, 1963.
- The film's poster can be seen in the background of Jerry's film, The Patsy when Ina Balin gets into a phone booth to call Jerry's character, Stanley Belt.
- Part of the musical score from the typewriter scene ("The Typewriter" by Leroy Anderson) was used as a title theme for the German comedy series Büro, Büro.
- Box office information for film in France at Box Office Story
- "Who's Minding the Store?". Turner Classic Movies. Atlanta: Turner Broadcasting System (Time Warner). Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Who's Minding the Store?". Amazon.com. Seattle: Nash Holdings LLC. ASIN B006X0ZN30. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Who's Minding the Store?". Amazon.com. Seattle: Nash Holdings LLC. ASIN B006X0ZMZE. Retrieved September 1, 2016.