White House Historical Association
The White House Historical Association, founded in 1961 through efforts of First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, is a private, non-profit organization with a mission to enhance the public's understanding, appreciation, and enjoyment of the White House, the official home and principal workplace of the president of the United States.
The White House Historical Association works with the National Park Service, the curator of the White House, the White House chief usher, and the first family in the care, conservation, and interpretation of the historic state rooms of the White House Executive Residence and larger White House Complex. The association works with the Committee for the Preservation of the White House to identify and acquire fine and decorative arts in keeping with the historical integrity of the White House.
The association publishes the official White House guide and operates a book store in the White House Visitor Center, which is managed by the National Park Service. The association also produces and publishes books and videos on the history, architecture, and decorative arts of the White House. In 1997, the society's CEO, Robert L. Breeden, announced the launching of White House History, a quarterly journal which continues to this day.
The association also sponsors research and scholarship, a lecture series, seminars, and exhibitions on White House history. It operates the National Center for White House History at Decatur House.
Funding for the White House Historical Association comes from the sale of publications and gift items, and private and corporate contributions. The association manages the White House Acquisition Trust, and the White House Endowment Trust.
- "White House History: A New Journal Published by the White House Historical Association". WhiteHouseHistory.org/. White House Historical Society.
- Abbott James A., and Elaine M. Rice. Designing Camelot: The Kennedy White House Restoration. Van Nostrand Reinhold: 1998. ISBN 0-442-02532-7.
- Garrett, Wendell. Our Changing White House. Northeastern University Press: 1995. ISBN 1-55553-222-5.
- Seale, William, The White House: The History of an American Idea. White House Historical Association: 1992, 2001. ISBN 0-912308-85-0.
- The White House: An Historic Guide. White House Historical Association and the National Geographic Society: 2001. ISBN 0-912308-79-6.