|Male calling at Maasai Mara, Kenya|
It is rather small for a bustard, 48 to 61 centimetres (19 to 24 in) long. All are tawny brown above and on the breast and white on the belly, with cream-coloured legs; juveniles have light brown necks and heads, and adults have blue-grey necks. The adult female has a grey crown, a brown and buff line below the eye, and black speckling on the throat. The adult male has a black crown, black lines on the white cheeks, a black throat patch, and a pinkish-red bill. The call, often given in the early morning and late evening, has been described as "a very loud, guttural k'whuka WHUKa, k'wuka WHUKa..., or k'warrak, k'warrak...
This species is usually seen in pairs or family groups, as young stay with their parents much longer than those of other bustards in the region.
Five subspecies are recognized:
- E. s. senegalensis (Vieillot, 1820) – southwestern Mauritania and Guinea, east to Central African Republic, central Sudan, and perhaps Eritrea (Senegal bustard)
- E. s. canicollis (Reichenow, 1881) – Ethiopia south to northeastern Tanzania
- E. s. erlangeri (Reichenow, 1905) – southern Kenya and western Tanzania
- E. s. mackenziei C.M.N. White, 1945 – eastern Gabon and central Democratic Republic of the Congo to Zambia, Angola and northern Namibia
- E. s. barrowii (J.E. Gray, 1829, sometimes considered a distinct species) – Botswana, Eswatini, South Africa, and Lesotho (Barrow's korhaan)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eupodotis senegalensis.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Eupodotis senegalensis.|
- BirdLife International (2016). "Eupodotis senegalensis". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2016: e.T22691996A93332403. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22691996A93332403.en. Retrieved 12 November 2021.
- "Appendices | CITES". cites.org. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- Sibley, Charles G.; Monroe, Burt L. Jr. (1990), Distribution and Taxonomy of Birds of the World, Yale University Press, p. 217, ISBN 0-300-04969-2, retrieved 2010-03-24
- Zimmerman, Dale A.; Turner, Donald A.; Pearson, David J. (1999), Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania, Princeton University Press, pp. 76–77, 328, ISBN 0-691-01022-6
- White-bellied Bustard, Internet Bird Collection
- White-bellied bustard, Birdlife International
- White-bellied bustard - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds