Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye: A Tribute to Roky Erickson
Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye: A Tribute to Roky Erickson is a 1990 tribute album to singer-songwriter Roky Erickson, founder of the 13th Floor Elevators and solo artist, whose career has been subject to significant periods of challenge from schizophrenia. The album was released by Sire Records in the United States, and by WEA International in Europe. The album was produced by Bill Bentley, who also produced a 1999 tribute album to Moby Grape co-founder Skip Spence,  who, like Erickson, was subject to the challenges of schizophrenia. The album's title is said to be Erickson's definition of psychedelic music.
|Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye: A Tribute to Roky Erickson|
|Compilation album by |
|Released||October 31, 1990|
The album was produced with the intention of raising money for Erickson and exposing his music to a wider audience. As noted by reviewer Mark Deming, "...there are a several moments of very real beauty and power here, especially from the artists who share Erickson's Texas heritage — Doug Sahm and ZZ Top rock out on their contributions, the Butthole Surfers' version of 'Earthquake' is one of their finest moments on wax, and T-Bone Burnett's take on 'Nothing in Return' is a heart-tugging gem."
- Reverberation (Doubt) - ZZ Top
- If You Have Ghosts - John Wesley Harding & The Good Liars
- I Had to Tell You - Poi Dog Pondering
- She Lives (In a Time of Her Own) - Judybats
- Slip Inside This House - Primal Scream
- You Don't Love Me Yet - Bongwater
- I Have Always Been Here Before - Julian Cope
- You're Gonna Miss Me - Doug Sahm & Sons
- It's a Cold Night For Alligators - Southern Pacific
- Fire Engine - Richard Lloyd
- Bermuda - Vibrating Egg
- I Walked With a Zombie - R.E.M.
- Earthquake - Butthole Surfers
- Don't Slander Me - Lou Ann Barton
- Red Temple Prayer (Two Headed Dog) - Sister Double Happiness
- Burn the Flames - Thin White Rope
- Postures (Leave Your Body Behind) - Chris Thomas featuring Tabby Thomas
- Nothing in Return - T-Bone Burnett
- Splash #1 - The Mighty Lemon Drops
- We Sell Soul - Lyres
- White Faces - Angry Samoans
- Reverberation (Doubt) - The Jesus and Mary Chain
Tracks 19-21 appear only on the original cassette release and the 2017 double LP reissue.
- Discogs Listing of Release Versions; www.discogs.com.
- More Oar: A Tribute to the Skip Spence Album (Birdman Records)
- See Roky Erickson.
- Mark Deming, Review of Where The Pyramid Meets The Eye: A Tribute To Roky Erickson; www.allmusic.com.
- Now known professionally as Chris Thomas King.