Where Is My Man
"Where Is My Man" is a song from 1983 by the American singer and actress Eartha Kitt, which appeared on her 1984 album I Love Men. The song was co-written by comedy writer Bruce Vilanch along with musicians and producers Fred Zarr and Jacques Morali.
|"Where Is My Man"|
|Single by Eartha Kitt|
|from the album I Love Men|
|Recorded||Power Station, NYC, 1982|
|Eartha Kitt singles chronology|
The song was first released in France as a single where it was wildly successful. The song features Kitt singing in a low, seductive-sounding voice. Included in the song are some sounds that have come to be associated with Kitt, including a purring sound similar to one she made while portraying Catwoman on the 1960s TV series Batman. The lyrics to the song detail specific things the singer expects to receive from her future lover, such as a trip to Saint-Tropez and shopping at Tiffany's.
The title failed to find release in the United States until the producers' attorneys (the firm of Grubman, Indursky, Shindler) introduced the title to their client, New York based Streetwise Records. Streetwise Records released the title in late 1983 in the United States to the dance and club markets. It was Kitt's first recording released in the United States after her ostracism and self-imposed exile to Paris following her outspoken objection to the Vietnam War at a White House function in 1968, and it became her biggest-selling single in 30 years.
In the United Kingdom, "Where Is My Man" reached the Top 40 on the UK Singles Chart, where it peaked at number 36. This was her first UK Hit single in 28 years, the previous chart entry, "Under The Bridges of Paris" dating from 1955. The single was also a hit in dance clubs around the world peaking at number 5 in Sweden and number 22 in Netherlands. In the US, the song made the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart, peaking at number 7 and remaining on the survey for 14 weeks.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||6|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||31|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||22|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||28|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||36|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||7|
|US Dance/Electronic Singles Sales (Billboard)||27|
- "Featured speaker: Bruce Vilanch" UJC.org. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- "Eartha Kitt, a Seducer of Audiences, Dies at 81" The New York Times, Rob Hoerburger, 25 December 2008. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- UK Singles Chart info Chartstats.com. Retrieved 10 August 2009.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco 1974-2003, (Record Research Inc.), page 146.
- "Ultratop.be – Eartha Kitt – Where Is My Man" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Eartha Kitt – Where Is My Man". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Eartha Kitt – Where Is My Man" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Charts.org.nz – Eartha Kitt – Where Is My Man". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Eartha Kitt – Where Is My Man". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- "Eartha Kitt > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 2008-04-02.