Westbury station (LIRR)
Westbury is a station on the Long Island Rail Road's Main Line. All trains for the Port Jefferson Branch and Ronkonkoma Branch run through it, though only some trains on the Port Jefferson branch stop (and only a few on the Ronkonoma Branch do). It is located at Union and Post Avenues in Westbury, New York. It is 23.4 miles (37.7 km) from Penn Station. The station is fully wheelchair accessible. It has two side platforms and two tracks.
Westbury station on Union Avenue
|Location||Union Avenue & Post Avenue|
|Owned by||Long Island Rail Road|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n22, n35|
|Rebuilt||1883, 1914, 1972, c. 2001–2005|
|Electrified||October 19, 1970|
750 V (DC) third rail
Westbury station was built sometime in March 1837 with the opening of the LIRR to Hicksville. The station was closed between June and September of the same year, briefly replaced by the nearby Carle Place station. Throughout much of the mid-19th Century, the J.P. Kelsey Branch Store served as the depot. The second station was built between April and June, 1883. The third station was built in 1914, and was electrified in October 1970, along with the rest of the Port Jefferson Branch between Mineola and Huntington Stations. It had a major remodeling around 1972, and another one sometime between 2001 and 2005. In 2000, a woman was stabbed to death in the underpass beneath the tracks.
On February 26, 2019, a local eastbound train to Hicksville collided with a truck at the railroad crossing just East of the station as it was accelerating out of the station. A few seconds after that collision, a westbound Ronkonkoma Branch express train headed for Penn Station collided with the already slammed truck at the crossing and derailed past it, slamming into the Westbound platform's eastern end. The collision caused extensive damage to both the Westbound platform (easternmost two car lengths), and LIRR M7 train car #7425, killing the 3 occupants of the truck, and causing a few power poles to be replaced.
Post Avenue Bridge replacementEdit
The station is located next to a bridge over Post Avenue that had an 11-foot-10-inch (3.61 m) clearance that was installed during the 1914 rebuild. The bridge was hit by between five and nine high trucks per year between 2010 and 2016, causing numerous train delays in both directions. In October 2017, the LIRR replaced the old bridge with a new bridge. Despite the fact that the previous bridge was 103 years old, it was still considered to be in good condition. However, the bridge had to be replaced in preparation for the LIRR third track project; the new span had a 14-foot (4.3 m) clearance and a capacity of three tracks.
Also as part of the third track project, the Westbury station will be upgraded to accommodate full-length 12-car trains. Both platforms would be replaced, and Platform B will be relocated. Canopies, benches, signage, and security cameras will be installed. The station, which is already compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, would be made more accessible via the installation of elevators and ramps, as well as a new overpass. Amenities such as Wi-Fi, USB charging stations, artwork, and digital information displays would be included in the renovation. The electrical substation at Westbury station will be replaced to make way for the third track, and a parking garage would be installed north of the station. The village of Westbury wants to redevelop the land south of the station.
This station has two high-level side platforms, each 12 cars long.
|G||Ground level||Exit/entrance, parking, buses|
|Platform A, doors will open on the right|
|Track 1||← Ronkonkoma Branch toward Jamaica, Atlantic or Penn (Carle Place)|
← Port Jefferson Branch toward Jamaica, Atlantic or Penn (Carle Place)
← Montauk Branch does not stop here
|Track 2||Port Jefferson Branch toward Hicksville, Huntington or Port Jeff (Hicksville) →|
Ronkonkoma Branch toward Farmingdale or Ronkonkoma (Hicksville) →
Montauk Branch does not stop here →
|Platform B, doors will open on the right|
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Westbury Hempstead - Carle Place (Arrt's Arrchives)
- The Long Island Rail Road: The age of expansion, 1863-1880 Vincent Seyfried; Page 188
- Bamberger, Werner (October 20, 1970). "Change at Jamaica Is Only a Memory For 12,000 Riders". The New York Times. p. 88. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
- LIRR station History (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Robert Gearty (June 15, 2000). "BOYFRIEND CHARGED IN TRAIN STATION SLAY ARGUMENT LEADS TO FATAL STABBING IN WESTBURY". Daily News. New York. Retrieved February 9, 2011.
- "news - Westbury's Post Avenue Bridge Replaced Ahead of Schedule". MTA. 2017-10-23. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "Westbury Station Enhancement". A Modern LI. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "Westbury Substation Replacement". A Modern LI. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "Westbury North Parking Structure". A Modern LI. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- "Westbury South Parking and LIRR Lot Development". A Modern LI. Retrieved 2018-07-04.
- Unofficial LIRR History Website
- Old Westury Station with Shelter and Freight House (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Post Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Station House on Union Avenue from Google Maps Street View
- Inside Station House from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View