West Virginia Black Bears
The West Virginia Black Bears are a Minor League Baseball team based in Granville, West Virginia. The team began play in the New York–Penn League in 2015 as an affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The team is owned by Bob Rich, Jr. and plays at Monongalia County Ballpark, which is across the Monongahela River from Morgantown and West Virginia University.
|West Virginia Black Bears|
Founded in 2015
Granville, West Virginia
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||New York–Penn League|
|Major league affiliations|
|Current||Pittsburgh Pirates (2015–present)|
|Minor league titles|
|League titles (1)||2015|
|Colors||Black, gold, blue, white|
|Ballpark||Monongalia County Ballpark|
|Bob Rich, Jr. (Rich Baseball Operations)|
|General Manager||Matt Drayer|
In August 2014, it was announced that the Jamestown Jammers would cease operations and move to Morgantown. On October 22, the team announced that they would be named the "Black Bears" following a fan vote, as the American black bear is the state animal of West Virginia. Other finalists included Black Diamonds, Canaries, Coal Kings, Coal Sox, Energy, Moonshiners, Muskets, Wild Ones, and Wonder.
In January 2015, Wyatt Toregas was named as their inaugural manager. The Black Bears won the New York–Penn League wild card in their inaugural season. The team then defeated the Williamsport Crosscutters and the Staten Island Yankees to win the 2015 New York–Penn League Championship.
West Virginia Black Bears roster
7-day injured list
|West Virginia Black Bears (New York–Penn League)|
|Record||Win %||Finish||Record||Win %||Result||MLB|
|2015||42-34||.553||2nd Pinckney Division||4-1||.800||Won Semifinals vs. Williamsport Crosscutters, 2–1
Won Championship vs. Staten Island Yankees, 2-0
|2016||38-38||.500||3rd Pinckney Division||—||—||Did not qualify for playoffs||Pirates|
|2017||40-35||.533||3rd Pinckney Division||—||—||Did not qualify for playoffs||Pirates|
|2018||32-44||.421||5th Pinckney Division||—||—||Did not qualify for playoffs||Pirates|
|2019||40-36||.526||2nd Pinckney Division||—||—||Did not qualify for playoffs||Pirates|
- Vingle, Mitch. Morgantown lands NY-Penn League baseball team. Charleston Gazette. Retrieved August 25, 2014.
- "New NYPL club to be called the Black Bears: Team also decides to identify primarily with state of West Virginia". MiLB.com (Press release). Rich Baseball Operations. October 22, 2014. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- Vote to name new Morgantown team MiLB.com
- Biertempfel, Rob (January 15, 2015). "Pirates Notebook: Assignments Finalized". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Heneghan, Kelsie (September 7, 2015). "Bears seal NYPL Wild Card in first season". MiLB.com. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Zimm, Tyler (September 15, 2015). "Black Bears Claim NYPL Championship". West Virginia Black Bears. Retrieved September 21, 2015.