West Town Mall
West Town Mall is a shopping mall located in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States. Opened in August 1972, this one-level mall is located in the western portion of Knoxville in the West Hills community. West Town Mall is located along Interstates 40/75 and Kingston Pike. The mall has 1,339,000 square feet (124,397 m2) of gross leasable area, making it the largest of any enclosed shopping mall in Tennessee.
Entrance to West Town Mall, August 2016
|Location||Kingston Pike, Interstate 40, and Interstate 75 Knoxville, USA|
|Opening date||August 1972|
|Management||Simon Property Group|
|Owner||Simon Property Group (50%)|
|No. of stores and services||138|
|No. of anchor tenants||4|
|Total retail floor area||1,341,519 square feet (124,631 m2)|
|No. of floors||1 plus 2nd floor access to Regal Cinabarre (2 in anchors)|
There is a food court in the center of the mall. This was the original location of a junior anchor Frankenbergers Department Store. This food court was the first mall location for Knoxville-based Petro's Chili & Chips.
On October 15, 2018, it was announced that Sears would be closing as part of a plan to close 142 stores nationwide. The store closed on January 6, 2019, and demolition began on January 9, 2020 Subsequent to the demolition, it will be replaced by Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy stores.
- JCPenney (current location) (opened in 1994 as part of an expansion)
- Dillard's (opened in 1972 as Miller's, became Hess's in 1987 and closed in 1992 and expanded and became Dillard's in 1993)
- Belk (opened in 1972 as Proffitt's, expanded in 1995 and became Belk in 2006)
- Belk Men's, Children's and Home (opened in 1994 as Parisian in a pad originally slated to be Parks-Belk as part of an expansion, became Belk Men's, Children's and Home in 2007)
- JCPenney (original location) (opened in 1972, relocated in 1994, lower level became more mall space, while the upper level became Regal Cinemas in 1998, became Cinebarre in 2018)
- Frankenburgers (now the food court)
- Sears (opened in 1972, closed in 2019 and demolished in 2020)
- Factual Information on West Town Mall
- Petro's moves to malls after the World's Fair
- Bomey, Nathan; Tyko, Kelly (October 15, 2018). "Sears store closing list: 142 more Sears, Kmart locations closing in Chapter 11 bankruptcy". USA Today.
- McDermott, Brenna (January 9, 2020). "Demolition begins on West Town Mall's empty Sears building". Knoxville News Sentinel.
- Deconstructing the Mall
| Largest mall in Tennessee