West Coast Sentinel
West Coast Sentinel is a weekly newspaper published Thursdays by Australian Community Media in Ceduna, South Australia. It was first founded in mid-1912, and has been published continuously since then. It is now part of the Fairfax Media group.
The West Coast Sentinel (subtitled: "circulating throughout the Great West Coast. Eyre's Peninsula.") began publication in Streaky Bay on Friday 28 June 1912. At the time, its publishers hoped that the paper's reach would extend beyond its initial region stating, "...although the journal is to be published at Streaky Bay it will serve the whole West Coast, and endeavor to safeguard interests and foster development of the smallest, equally the largest town or settlement."
On 25 April 1925, the title of the newspaper was simplified to West Coast Sentinel, with a surtitle that read "A Weekly Paper alive to the needs of the West Coast." and a subtitle that read: "The only paper published on the great West Coast of S.A." In 1930, due to pressures from the Great Depression, the newspaper absorbed the Western Mail (13 July 1928 - 25 December 1930), which was printed by A.C. Lawrie. In addition, the newspaper also printed the short-lived Eyre Peninsula Rural Chronicle (1987–1990), and a sister publication,the Peninsula Farmer, in conjunction with the Port Lincoln Times.
The newspaper is published every Thursday, a print run of approximately 3,000 copies which are sold across the Eyre Peninsula and Far West including: Ceduna, Streaky Bay, Wudinna, Elliston, Yalata, Nundroo, Penong, Thevenard, Smoky Bay, Port Kenny, Venus Bay, Wirrulla, Poochera, Minnipa, and Kyancutta. It has a claimed average weekly readership of 5,600.
- "West Coast Sentinel (Streaky Bay, SA : 1912 - 1954) - 28 Jun 1912 - p2". Trove. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "West Coast Sentinel (Streaky Bay, SA : 1912 - 1954) - 25 Apr 1925 - p1". Trove. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- The Western mail [newspaper]. Ceduna, S.A: A.C. Lawrie. 1928.
- Laube, Anthony. "LibGuides: SA Newspapers: C-E". guides.slsa.sa.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- "Our Portfolio - Fairfax Media Limited". www.fairfaxmedia.com.au. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "About Us | West Coast Sentinel". www.westcoastsentinel.com.au. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "West Coast Sentinel - The Media Workshop". The Media Workshop. 2014-11-26. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "West Coast Sentinel - Fairfax Media ACM Ad Centre". Fairfax Media ACM Ad Centre. Retrieved 2018-02-26.
- "West Coast Sentinel (Streaky Bay, SA : 1912 - 1954)". Trove. Retrieved 2018-02-26.