Wesley E. Disney
Wesley Ernest Disney
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Oklahoma's 1st district
March 4, 1931 – January 3, 1945
|Preceded by||Charles O'Connor|
|Succeeded by||George Schwabe|
|Member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives|
|Born||October 31, 1883|
|Died||March 26, 1961 (aged 77)|
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Spouse(s)||Anna Susanna Vansant Disney|
|Children||Wesley Vansant Disney; Ralph Willard Disney|
|Alma mater||University of Kansas at Lawrence|
|Profession||lawyer, politician, lobbyist|
Born in Richland, Kansas, Disney was the son of Wesley and Elizabeth Matney Disney, and attended the public schools of Kansas. He was graduated from the law department of the University of Kansas at Lawrence in 1906. He was admitted to the Kansas bar in 1906, the Oklahoma bar in 1908, and began practice in Muskogee, Oklahoma, in 1908. On September 22, 1910, he married Anna Van Sant, and they had two sons.
Disney was county attorney of Muskogee County, Oklahoma, from 1911 to 1915. He served as member of the Oklahoma House of Representatives from 1919 to 1924. He was chairman of the board of managers in the impeachment trial of Governor Jack C. Walton in 1923.
Elected as a Democrat to the Seventy-second and to the six succeeding Congresses, Disney served from March 4, 1931 to January 3, 1945. He was on the Banking and Currency Committee as well as the Ways and Means Committee, making him known as "watchdog of the Treasury". Not a candidate for renomination in 1944, he was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic nomination for United States Senator. He continued to practice law in Washington, D.C., and Tulsa, Oklahoma, and was also a successful lobbyist.
- "Wesley E. Disney". Oklahoma Historical Society. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Wesley E. Disney". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Wesley E. Disney". Govtrack US Congress. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Wesley E. Disney". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- United States Congress. "Wesley E. Disney (id: D000362)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture - Disney, Wesley
- Wesley E. Disney Collection and Photograph Collection at the Carl Albert Center
- Wesley E. Disney at Find a Grave
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Oklahoma's 1st congressional district