It was founded in 1868 by Charles Theodorus Stork, although in the 20th century the company merged others, including Werkspoor, founded in 1827. Stork has two operating companies: Fokker Aerospace Group and Stork Technical Services. Stork Aerospace designs, develops and produces advanced structures and electrical systems for the aerospace and defence industry and supplies integrated maintenance services and products to aircraft owners and operators. The Aerospace group carries out these activities with 3,532 employees. Stork Technical Services is a supplier of integrated technical services for installations and machines in the industrial market. The group, which consists of the Industry Services and Industry Specialists strategic units, achieved a turnover of € 1,089 million in 2007 with 9,320 employees, out of the total Stork turnover of € 2.2 billion.
Stork N.V. bought the parts manufacturing and aircraft servicing divisions of Fokker at the time of its bankruptcy in the late 1990s, and formed Stork Aerospace.
The company agreed to a €1.5 billion takeover by a consortium led by British buyout firm Candover on 28 November 2007. As part of the deal, Stork's food systems unit was sold on in May 2008 to Marel Food Systems, an Icelandic firm controlled by Landsbanki Íslands and Eyrir Invest. The consortium delisted Stork from the Amsterdam Stock Exchange on 19 February 2008, having obtained around 98% of the company's shares by mid-January.
On 24 November 2010, Stork NV announced the sale of their Materials and Testing group to 3i Group plc.
- Werkspoor Jumbo, a large 1930s cargo biplane
- Molenaar, Jeroen (28 November 2007). "Candover-Led Group to Buy Stork for EU1.5 Billion". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2007-11-28.
- "Sale of Stork Food Systems completed" (Press release). Stork B.V. 8 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- Kreijger, Gilbert (22 January 2008). "Consortium plans to delist Stork shares in Feb". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "Contact information Archived 2012-01-16 at the Wayback Machine." Stork B.V. Retrieved on 10 January 2012. "Stork Head office Stork B.V. Amersfoortsestraatweg 7 1412 KA NAARDEN"