Welsh Youth Parliament
Senedd Ieuenctid Cymru
|Formation||5 December 2018|
|Founded at||Welsh Parliament, Cardiff CF99 1NA|
|Type||Voluntary simulated unicameral legislature|
|Senedd (as National Assembly for Wales)|
It states that its purpose is to empower young people to make decisions and to provide them with a voice in Welsh politics.
The WYP was formed in December 2018 and consists of sixty members of 11-18 year olds.
Forty members were elected in an electronic election using the Senedd constituencies and twenty further members were chosen by partner organisations. The young people are known as Members of the Welsh Youth Parliament (WYPMs).
The first meeting of all members took place in February 2019. In addition the members meet in regional meetings to continue their work programme; which are held in the four electoral regions of Wales - Mid & West Wales, North Wales, South-East Wales and South-West Wales. Three regional events are also held over the two-year term where young people from all over Wales can meet with their elected representatives and have their views heard.
At its inception, youth organisations across Wales were invited to apply to be partner organisations for the inaugural Parliament. Those who were chosen returned between one and three members each to represent them, coming from a diverse range of people in Wales.
Partner organisations of the Welsh Youth Parliament include:
- Barnardo's Cymru
- Caerphilly Youth Service
- Carers Trust Wales
- Ethnic Minorities & Youth Support Team Wales and Race Council Cymru
- Girlguiding Cymru
- Learning Disability Wales
- National Youth Advocacy Service
- Talking Hands
- Tros Gynnal Plant Cymru
- Urdd Gobaith Cymru
- Voices from Care Cymru
- Youth Cymru
- "Commission budget" (PDF). senedd.assembly.wales. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- "Voting for Welsh Youth Parliament opens". BBC News. 5 November 2018. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Joining new youth parliament 'incredible'". BBC News. 2018-12-05. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- Ruth Mosalski (25 February 2019). "The Welsh Youth Parliament has met for the first time". Wales Online. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Welsh Youth Parliament Election 2018 Results – Senedd Home".
- "More than a third of children worried about bullying". ITV News. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Welsh Youth Parliament | Carers Trust". carers.org.
- "Welsh Youth Parliament".
- "Nyas Cymru ensure young people in care have a voice at first Welsh Youth Parliament". September 4, 2018.
- "Welsh Youth Parliament". CWVYS. December 5, 2018.
- "Talking Hands". CWVYS.
- "Youth Parliament".
- "Welsh Youth Parliament".
- ndcsuk. "National Deaf Children's Society Campaigns blog | Welcome to the National Deaf Children's Society Campaigns blog, the place to find updates on all our campaigns activities! We lobby decision makers across the UK to make sure every deaf child is able to succeed. With your support, we can create a powerful voice for change and demand a fair deal for every deaf child by engaging with politicians and other decision-makers across the UK". Ndcscampaigns.com. Retrieved 2021-06-13.
- "Welsh Youth Parliament: mental health made priority". BBC News. 23 February 2019. Retrieved 2019-09-08.