Wellington Hospital, London
The Wellington Hospital in St John's Wood, North London is the largest independent hospital in the United Kingdom, and part of HCA International hospital group. It offers cardiac services, neurosurgery, liver and HPB medicine, rehabilitation, gynaecology, orthopaedics, and other services. It comprises a South Building, a North Building and a Diagnostics and Outpatients Centre as well as the Platinum Medical Centre, which specialises in oncology.
|Hospital Corporation of America|
The Wellington Hospital South Building
Originally commissioned by British and Commonwealth Holdings, the Wellington Hospital was founded by Dr Arthur Levin who wanted to create a modern flagship private hospital. The South Building, which was designed by Fred Woodhead, opened in April 1974. The North Building, also designed by Fred Woodhead, opened in 1978. The Wellington Diagnostics and Outpatients Centre at Golders Green opened in 2007 and the Platinum Medical Centre, which includes an oncology centre with MRI and PET CT scanners, opened in May 2011.
- John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer, British peer and the father of Diana, Princess of Wales died at the hospital in March 1992.
- Sir Robin Day, the broadcaster, died at the hospital in August 2000.
- Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters drummer, was admitted to the hospital when he overdosed on heroin during their London tour in July 2001.
- Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, a member of the Dutch Royal Family, who, after being buried under an avalanche in Lech while skiing in Austria, was admitted to the hospital on 1 March 2012. He died on 12 August 2013 in the Netherlands.
- Peter O'Toole died at the hospital on 14 December 2013.
- Levin, G (1999). "Arthur Levin". BMJ. 318: 1701. doi:10.1136/bmj.318.7199.1701. PMC 1116044. PMID 10373194.
- "Fred Woodhead". The Guardian. 2 December 2008. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Higgins, Joan (1988). The Business of Medicine: Private Health Care in Britain. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 77. ISBN 978-0333458297.
- "Wellington Hospital, St. John's Wood, London". Manchester History. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Wellington Diagnostics and Outpatients Centre" (PDF). Wellington Hospital. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "New Cancer Centre opens". Kilburn Times. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "The 8th Earl Spencer, 68, Dies; Father of the Princess of Wales". New York Times. 29 March 1992. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Sir Robin Day dies". BBC News. 7 August 2000. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Dave Grohl interview". The Telegraph. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- (in Dutch) "Prins Friso naar kliniek Londen". NOS. 1 March 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Dutch prince suffers brain damage after avalanche". CNN. 25 February 2012. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Booth, Robert (15 December 2013). "Peter O'Toole, star of Lawrence of Arabia, dies aged 81". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 December 2013.