Weightlifting at the 2008 Summer Olympics – Women's 48 kg
The women's 48 kg weightlifting event is the lightest women's event at the weightlifting competition, limiting competitors to a maximum of 48 kilograms of body mass. The competition took place on August 9 at 10:00 and was the first Weightlifting event to conclude. It was the second set of medals to be awarded at the Games, a few moments after the women's 10m Air Rifle.
|Women's 48 kg|
at the Games of the XXIX Olympiad
|Venue||Beihang University Gymnasium|
|Competitors||14 from 11 nations|
Each lifter performed in both the snatch and clean and jerk lifts, with the final score being the sum of the lifter's best result in each. The athlete received three attempts in each of the two lifts; the score for the lift was the heaviest weight successfully lifted.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World Record||Snatch||Yang Lian (CHN)||98 kg||Santo Domingo, Dominican||1 October 2006|
|Clean & Jerk||Chen Xiexia (CHN)||120 kg||Tai'an, China||21 April 2007|
|Total||Yang Lian (CHN)||217 kg||Santo Domingo, Dominican||1 October 2006|
|Olympic Record||Snatch||Nurcan Taylan (TUR)||97 kg||Athens, Greece||14 August 2004|
|Clean & Jerk||Aree Wiratthaworn (THA)||115 kg||Athens, Greece||14 August 2004|
|Total||Nurcan Taylan (TUR)||210 kg||Athens, Greece||14 August 2004|
|Rank||Athlete||Group||Body weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total|
|Chen Wei-ling (TPE)||A||47.11||84||84||108||112||112||196|
|Im Jyoung-hwa (KOR)||A||47.62||83||86||86||106||110||110||196|
|Pensiri Laosirikul (THA)||A||47.67||85||85||110||110||195|
|4||Hiromi Miyake (JPN)||A||47.35||80||80||105||105||185|
|5||Mélanie Noël (FRA)||A||47.91||75||78||80||80||97||97||177|
|6||Misaki Oshiro (JPN)||A||47.62||77||80||80||92||92||172|
|7||Marzena Karpińska (POL)||A||47.62||79||79||92||92||171|
|8||Marilou Dozois-Prévost (CAN)||A||47.75||73||76||76||90||90||166|
|9||Karla Moreno (NCA)||A||47.07||65||65||83||85||85||150|
|—||Pramsiri Bunphithak (THA)||A||47.95||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|—||Genny Pagliaro (ITA)||A||47.85||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|DQ||Chen Xiexia (CHN)||A||47.46||90||93||95||—||113||115||117||—||—|
|DQ||Sibel Özkan (TUR)||A||47.80||86||88||—||108||111||—||—|
|DQ||Nurcan Taylan (TUR)||A||47.84||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- Chen Xiexia of China originally won the gold medal, but she was disqualified following a positive anti-doping test of her 2008 sample.
- Sibel Özkan of Turkey originally won the silver medal, but she was disqualified following a positive anti-doping test of her 2008 sample. On 1 December 2016, the Court of Arbitration for Sport dismissed Özkan's final appeal.
- IOC sanctions eight athletes for failing anti-doping test at Beijing 2008 and London 2012
- IOC sanctions Turkish weightlifter for failing anti-doping test at Beijing 2008
- SIBEL ÖZKAN KONAK APPEAL DISMISSED BY THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT , from tas-cas.org, official website of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.