Website content writer
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A website content writer or web content writer is a person who specializes in providing relevant content for websites. Every website has a specific target audience and requires the most relevant content to attract business. Content should contain keywords (specific business-related terms, which internet users might use in order to search for services or products) aimed towards improving a website's SEO. Generally, a website content writer who has got this knowledge of SEO is also referred to as an SEO Content Writer.
Most story pieces are centered on marketing products or services, though this is not always the case. Some websites are informational only and do not sell a product or service. These websites are often news sites or blogs. Informational sites educate the reader with complex information that is easy to understand and retain.
Website owners and managers depend on content writers to perform several major tasks:
- Develop, write content as per the business concept.
- Check for keywords or generate a keyword, and research limitations for the keywords.
- Create or copy edit to inform the reader, and to promote or sell the company, product, or service described in the website.
- Produce content to entice and engage visitors so they continue browsing the current website. The longer a visitor stays on a particular site, the greater the likelihood they will eventually become clients or customers.
- Produce content that is smart in its use of keywords, or is focused on search engine optimization (SEO). This means the text must contain relevant keywords and phrases that are most likely to be entered by users in web searches associated with the actual site for better search engine indexing and ranking.
- Create content that allows the site visitors to get the information they want quickly and efficiently. Efficient and focused web content gives readers access to information in a user-friendly manner.
- Create unique, useful, and compelling content on a topic primarily for the readers and not merely for the search engines.
Website content writing aims for relevance and search-ability. Relevance means that the website text should be useful and beneficial to readers. Search-ability indicates usage of keywords to help search engines direct users to websites that meet their search criteria.
In recent years, content marketing has become is one of the primary ways to drive organic search traffic. This involves writing blog articles that answer the users' questions or solve a problem in the same subject matter that the website is based on.
Content can be written for various purposes in various forms. The most popular forms of content writing are:
- Writing white papers
- Promotional mails (content for email marketing purpose)
- Social media management and promotion
- Customer case studies
- or any other offline or online marketing purposes
The content of a website differs based on the product or service it is used for.
Online writers vs. print writersEdit
Writing online is different from composing and constructing content for printed materials. Web users tend to scan text instead of reading it closely, skipping what they perceive to be unnecessary information and hunting for what they regard as most relevant. It is estimated that seventy-nine percent of users scan web content. It is also reported that it takes twenty-five percent more time to scan content online compared to print content. Web content writers must have the skills to insert paragraphs and headlines containing keywords for search engine optimization, as well as to make sure their composition is clear, to reach their target market. They need to be skilled writers and good at engaging an audience as well as understanding the needs of web users.
For a website selling a product or service, the content has the job of answering the user's number one question, which is: 'What's in it for me?' The user, or potential customer in this case, wants to know how the product or service is going to improve their life, and therefore the website content writer or copywriter needs to be concise and persuasive in describing the benefits of the product or service, while using classic sales techniques to convert a sale on the page.
Content writing providersEdit
Website content writing is frequently outsourced to external providers, such as individual web copywriters or for larger or more complex projects, a specialized digital marketing agency. It shall be said that most of the content writers also spend time learning about digital marketing with more focus on Search Engine Optimization, Pay Per Click, Social Media Optimization etc so that they can develop right content which can help clients with marketing business easily.
Digital marketing agencies combine copy-writing services with a range of editorial and associated services, that may include brand positioning, message consulting, social media, SEO consulting, developmental and copy editing, proofreading, fact checking, layout, content syndication, and design.
Outsourcing allows businesses to focus on core competencies and to benefit from the specialized knowledge of professional copywriters and editors.
In 2018, the global outsourcing market amounted to 85.6 billion U.S. dollars.
- "5 Steps to Building a Successful Organic Traffic Pipeline". Neil Patel. 2015-11-21. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "How Users Read on the Web". nngroup.com.
- "Brief summary on online reading vs. print reading Center for Teaching and Learning" (PDF). Fall 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 5, 2012. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- "How to Optimize Your Website Copy to Increase Your Sales - Part 2". Converting Copywriter. 2019-04-18. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- Finkel, David (2017-05-24). "The 5 Most Powerful Sales Techniques". Inc.com. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "Global outsourcing market size 2018 | Statistic". Statista. Retrieved 2019-06-07.