Weather Central, LP is a private company that provides weather data and production tools to the media industry. It was founded in 1974 by Terry Kelly. The company has 180 employees and 70 meteorologists. It is the largest provider of broadcast and interactive web weather solutions[buzzword] for media companies in the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Philippines. Weather Central has about 400 broadcast television clients in 21 countries worldwide. Weather Central also developed a free application for iPhones and Android devices called MyWeather.
|Founded||Wisconsin, United States|
|Terry Kelly (founder and CEO)|
Christopher Kelly (President)
|Owner||Weather Services International|
Number of employees
In 2011, E.L. Rothschild LLC, an investment company, acquired a 70% stake in Weather Central. Nonetheless, the company will continue to operate under CEO and founder, Terry Kelly, as well as current management.
In 2012, Weather Services International, a sister company to The Weather Channel, announced an agreement to acquire Weather Central. Weather Central also launched the Radar 5™, a radar widget built using HTML5.
- "Company Overview of Weather Central, LP". Bloomberg Businessweek. Archived from the original on June 12, 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "E.L. Rothschild LLC Acquires a Majority Stake in Weather Central, LP". Reuters. 31 January 2011. Archived from the original on 18 October 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Weather Central launches consumer site, apps". The Business Journal. 16 May 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Investment firm to buy majority of Weather Central". The Business Journal. 11 January 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "E.L. Rothschild LLC Acquires a Majority Stake in Weather Central, LP". Business Wire. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Weather Services International Acquires Weather Central". The Weather Channel. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Samenow, Jason (9 August 2012). "Weather Channel domination: member company WSI acquires Weather Central". The Washington Post. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "New Interactive Radar 5.0 from Weather Central Delivers Industry's Highest Resolution Radar to Websites, iOS or Android Devices". PRWeb. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2013.