We Got Married
We Got Married (Korean: 우리 결혼했어요) was a South Korean reality variety show that aired on MBC from 2008 to 2017. The show paired up celebrities who pretended to be married couples and completed various challenges together. The show ran for four seasons and inspired several spin-offs, including a "global edition" of the show that featured non-Korean celebrities.
|We Got Married|
Season 4 logo
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||373|
|Executive producer||Im Jeong-ah|
|Original release||16 March 2008 –|
6 May 2017
|Revised Romanization||Uri Gyeolhon Haesseoyo|
|McCune–Reischauer||Uri Kyŏlhon Haessŏyo|
The show's pilot episode was aired on 6 February 2008 as a Korean New Year special. On the episode, four arranged celebrity couples had to prepare dinner with a fixed amount of money.
With a new format and slightly different couples, newlyweds are given a mission to complete each week. As during the special pilot episode, interviewed participants provide a unique perspective on the ongoing relationship conflicts and developments. All of the recorded material is then played in front of the participants, MCs, and audience who add commentary or clarification.
Beginning with a Lunar New Year's Special in 2009 with three new couples, a new format is introduced into the show, first forecasted through the addition of Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji. Each couple is given a concept to portray; in Kangin and Lee Yoon-ji's case, a college couple living with a limited income.
- Alex & Shin Ae (Ep 1-8, 13-34)
- Crown J & Seo In-young (Ep 1-41)
- Shinhwa's Andy & Solbi (Ep 1-28)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Saori (Ep 1-8)
- Lee Hwi-jae & Jo Yeo-jeong (Ep 9-17)
- SS501's Kim Hyun-joong & Hwangbo (Ep 9-38)
- Hwanhee & Hwayobi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Marco & Son Dam-bi (Ep 25, 29-44)
- Choi Jin-young & Lee Hyun-ji (Ep 25)
- Super Junior's Kangin & Lee Yoon-ji (Ep 39-55)
- Jeong Hyeong-don & Girls' Generation's Kim Taeyeon (Ep 42-54)
- Shin Sung-rok & Kim Shin-young (Ep 42, 45-54)
- Shinhwa's Jun Jin & Lee Si-young (Ep 42, 45-55)
As of May 2009, the producers announced another change in the format with all four couples departing, cutting down to just one couple and shortening the show to just 60 minutes. The show will now portray a more realistic side to what a marriage is, instead of "the painted image of marriage based on romance". For the first time, a real couple is cast in the show. Guest celebrities are invited to be show's commentators for each episode so that they can share their opinions on marriage on behalf of their age group. SG Wannabe's Kim Yong-jun and Hwang Jung-eum also do the interview room together dressed in wedding attire.
However, due to low ratings, the show returned to its old format with the addition of a make-believe couple actor Park Jae-jung and After School member Uee on 2 August 2009. For the Chuseok special, Brown Eyed Girls' Gain & 2AM's Jo Kwon and SG Wannabe's Lee Seok-hun & host Kim Na-young appeared as two new couples. The episode achieved Season 2's highest rating, and Gain and Jo Kwon were announced to be a permanent couple.
Couple List (New Format)
Couple List (Old Format)
- SG Wannabe's Kim Yong-jun & Hwang Jung-eum (Ep 1-20)
- Park Jae-jung & After School's Uee (Ep 1-20)
- 2AM's Jo Kwon & Brown Eyed Girls' Gain (ep 10-69)
- SG Wannabe's Lee Seok-hun & Kim Na-young (Ep 10)
- Lee Sun-ho & Hwang Woo-seul-hye (ep 21-31)
- CNBLUE's Jung Yong Hwa & Girls' Generation's Seohyun (Ep 29-80)
- 2PM's Nichkhun & f(x)'s Victoria (ep 41-80)
Season three officially begins on 9 April, with two additional couples upon the departure of Yonghwa & Seohyun, as well as a new format. Park Hwi-sun and K.Will are added for Season 3 to the cast as MCs.
- Super Junior's Leeteuk & Kang So-ra (Ep 133-134)
- Julien Kang & Yoon Se-ah (Ep 133-159)
- ZE:A's Hwang Kwanghee & Secret's Han Sunhwa (Ep 133-166)
- Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo (Ep 135-155)
- 2AM's Jung Jin-woon & Go Joon-hee (Ep 156-186)
- Jo Jung-chi & Choi Jung-in (Ep 160-186)
- SHINee's Lee Tae-min & Apink's Son Na-eun (Ep 167-203)
- Yoon Han & Lee So-yeon (Ep 187-213)
- Jung Joon-young & Jeong Yu-mi (Ep 187-222)
- 2PM's Jang Wooyoung & Park Se-young (Ep 204-237)
- Namkoong Min & Hong Jin-young (Ep 214-262)
- Hong Jong-hyun & Girl's Day's Kim Yura (Ep 223-262)
- Song Jae-rim & Kim So-eun (Ep 238-275)
- Super Junior M's Henry Lau & Kim Ye-won (Ep 263-264, 266-275)
- CNBLUE's Lee Jong-hyun & Gong Seung-yeon (Ep 263-286)
- Oh Min-suk & Kang Ye-won (Ep 276-310)
- BtoB's Yook Sung-jae & Red Velvet's Joy (Ep 276-320)
- Kwak Si-yang & Kim So-yeon (Ep 287-316)
- Jo Se-ho & Fiestar's Cao Lu (Ep 311-314, 316-340)
- Eric Nam & Mamamoo's Solar (Ep 316-348)
- Madtown's Jota & Kim Jin-kyung (Ep 321-350)
- Choi Tae-joon & Apink's Yoon Bo-mi (Ep 341-363)
- Lee Guk-joo & Untouchable's Sleepy (Ep 349-372)
- 5urprise's Gong Myung & Jung Hye-sung (Ep 351-372)
- Choi Min-yong & Jang Do-yeon (Ep 364-373)
In late March 2010, MBC stopped broadcast of new episodes due to labour strikes, with repeats airing instead. This event, compounded with the ROKS Cheonan sinking incident, which caused cancellation of most variety shows at the time, resulted in a backlog of footage for the couples Jo Kwon & Gain and Yonghwa & Seohyun. This resulted in the contents of their latest episodes being of footage recorded some months previously, rather than the normal 1–2 weeks of the original.
During Lee Joon & Oh Yeon-seo's season 4 tenure (broadcasting from September 2012 through February 2013), Oh Yeon-seo was observed meeting in public with Lee Jang-woo, her male co-star from the drama series, Here Comes Mr. Oh. When pictures and videos were released in January 2013, media and WGM fans surmised Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo, formerly of WGM (Season 3), were in a romantic relationship. Because Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Joon were in the midst of filming WGM at the time this news was released, the integrity of their virtual marriage was questioned by fans. The negative reaction was further exacerbated by Oh Yeon-seo's multiple declarations of romantic interest in Lee Joon (e.g. as her "ideal type" and wanting to meet with him outside of filming). This backlash and perceived broken trust resulted in fans voicing their desire for Oh Yeon-Seo to exit WGM. Shortly after the rumors of Oh Yeon-seo and Lee Jang-woo's relationship surfaced, Lee Joon publicly expressed his frustration about not having his voice heard, with online fans suggesting it was due to his overbearing workload and/or Oh Yeon-seo's alleged relationship with Lee Jang-woo. A few weeks later, Lee Joon and Oh Yeon-seo ended their tenure on WGM.
MBC aired a new show based on We Got Married. The emphasis of the show was described as a shift from married life to the dating period. The head producer of Pit-a-Pat Shake was the original producer of We Got Married, when couples such as Seo In-young and Crown J as well as Shin Ae and Alex aired. The success of the earliest and most memorable couples gave people high hopes for the pilot. A Lunar Year Special was filmed and aired as the pilot episode.
The female idols in the spin-off Pit-a-Pat Shake were KARA's Seungyeon, After School's Lizzy, SISTAR's Hyorin, and SECRET's Sunhwa. Super Junior's Sungmin was partnered with Hyorin. MBLAQ's Lee Joon was paired with Lizzy, actor Lee Tae-sung with Seungyeon and comedian Park Heeson with Sunhwa.
The Chinese version of We Got Married paired Korean and Chinese celebrities. Two out of three pairings were international: T-ara's Hyomin and Super Junior's Kyuhyun. It was produced by MBC to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of South Korea's diplomatic ties with China. It aired as a Valentine's Day special in China on an entertainment channel of Shanghai Media Group and on MBC on 25 February but with only the Korean segments.
- Hyomin of T-ara & Fu Xinbo of BoBo
- Kyuhyun of Super Junior & Lou Yixiao
- MC Jin Wei & Zhu Chi Dan
- Chansung of 2PM & Liu Yan
A global edition spinoff of the widely popular We Got Married, get to see how the on-screen virtual marriage between idol celebrities from different countries work out through weekly missions and candid interviews. Couples are paired from Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
- Season 1
Release date: April 7, 2013 - July 14, 2013
- Season 2
We Are In LoveEdit
The licensed remake of popular South Korean Variety Show We Got Married, titled “We Are In Love” was broadcast starting on 19 April 2015. It has the same basic format except that the couples are not 'married' but 'dating'. This change was made in order to present a more realistic story in which couples first must be in love to form the basis of marriage and then get married.
1st Season (2015)
- Choi Siwon of Super Junior & Chinese supermodel Liu Wen
- Taiwanese Actress Ruby Lin & Actor Ren Zhong
- Chinese Singer-Actor Qiao Renliang & Actress Xu Lu
2nd Season (2016)
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2008||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Brand Award||We Got Married team||Won|
|Best Writer||Kang Je-sang||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Kim Hyun-joong and Hwangbo||Won|
|2009||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Kim Yong-jun||Won|
|3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Couple Award||Kim Yong-jun and Hwang Jung-eum||Won|
|2010||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Couple Award||Jo Kwon and Gain||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Won|
|Popularity Award||Jung Yong-hwa and Seohyun||Won|
|Nichkhun and Victoria||Won|
|Bugs Music Awards||Best Variety Star (Bronze)||Jo Kwon||Won|
|2011||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Eunjung||Won|
|Excellence Award||Park So-hyun||Won|
|Best MC Award||Park Mi-sun||Won|
|2012||MBC Entertainment Awards||Popularity Award||Kang So-ra and Leeteuk||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Hwang Kwanghee||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Julien Kang and Yoon Se-ah||Nominated|
|Hwang Kwanghee and Han Sunhwa||Nominated|
|Lee Joon and Oh Yeon-seo||Nominated|
|2013||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Newcomer Award||Jeong Yu-mi||Won|
|Star of the Year||Taemin||Won|
|Excellence Award||Lee So-yeon||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Lee Taemin and Son Na-eun||Nominated|
|2014||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best Couple Award||Hong Jong-hyun and Yura||Nominated|
|Namkoong Min and Hong Jin-young||Nominated|
|Song Jae-rim and Kim So-eun||Won|
|New Star Award||Namkoong Min||Won|
|Best Newcomer Award||Nominated|
|Excellence Award||Hong Jin-young||Won|
|2015||MBC Entertainment Awards||New Star Award||Kwak Si-yang||Won|
|Popularity Award for Variety Show||Oh Min-suk and Kang Ye-won||Won|
|Best Rookie Award||Kwak Si-yang||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award||Kwak Si-yang and Kim So-yeon||Nominated|
|Oh Min-suk and Kang Ye-won||Nominated|
|Yook Sungjae and Joy||Won|
|Top Excellence Award for Variety Show||Kang Ye-won||Nominated|
|2016||16th MBC Entertainment Awards||Program of the Year||We Got Married Season 4||Nominated|
|Top Female Excellence Award in Variety Show||Lee Guk-joo||Won|
|Male Excellence Award in Variety Show||Sleepy||Nominated|
|Female Excellence Award in Variety Show||Park Na-rae||Won|
|Male Rookie Award in Variety Show||Yang Se-chan||Nominated|
|Female Rookie Award in Variety Show||Kim Jin-kyung||Nominated|
|Popularity Award||Jo Se-ho and Cao Lu||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Eric Nam and Solar||Won|
|Choi Tae-joon and Yoon Bo-mi||Nominated|
|Jo Se-ho and Cao Lu||Nominated|
|Jota and Kim Jin-kyung||Nominated|
|Sleepy and Lee Guk-joo||Nominated|
|2017||17th MBC Entertainment Awards||Top Excellence Award, Variety Category||Lee Guk-joo||Nominated|
- Doo, Rumy (17 April 2017). "'We Got Married' comes to an end, for now". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Chung, Jin-hong (1 December 2016). "'We Got Married' announces newest couple". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- Sohn, Ji-young (20 March 2014). "'We Got Married ― Global Edition' Season 2 to air in April". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- 알렉스 - 장윤정 '우리 결혼했어요' hankyung. 6 February 2008. Retrieved 31 May 2020 (in Korean)
- 인터뷰③ 장윤정 “‘우결’ 빠진 것 후회 없어요” news joins. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 31 May 2020 (in Korean)
- 6일 설 특집 TV가이드 MBC '싱글즈100' 외 edaily. 5 February 2008. Retrieved 31 May 2020 (in Korean)
- '비스' 홍경민 "솔비와 '우결' 찍었지만..앤디가 영광 누려" news1. 2 April 2019. Retrieved 31 May 2020 (in Korean)
- "공명 측, "정혜성과 '우리 결혼했어요4' 투입. 현재 촬영 중" (공식입장)". Top Star News.
- Choi, R. (1 March 2017). "Comedienne Jang Do Yeon And Actor Choi Min Yong Is The Newest Couple To Join "We Got Married"". Soompi. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "‘우결’ 조권 가인, MBC 파업 중 발리行 가능했던 이유? (We Got Married continues to Bali, Indonesia despite Labor Strike)" Nate News. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 1 May 2012 (in Korean)
- "Viewers find it hard to watch Lee Joon and Oh Yeon Seo couple on 'We Got Married' - allkpop.com".
- "Oh Yeon Seo Wants to Get Married to Lee Joon in Real Life? - Soompi". www.soompi.com.
- "Some viewers demand Oh Yeon Seo leave 'We Got Married' - allkpop.com".
- "MBLAQ's Lee Joon expresses his frustration on his official fancafe? - allkpop.com".
- "Lee Joon and Oh Yeon Seo say goodbye on 'We Got Married' - allkpop.com".
- MBC, 설특집 ‘우결’ 스핀오프 제작...연애판 '우결' 나온다 (We Got Married Spin-Off)" Naver News. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012 (in Korean)
- 한승연·리지·효린·한선화, 우결 연애판 두근두근'출연 [Lizzy, Sunhwa, Hyorin, and Seungyeon confirmed for We Got Married spin-off]. Naver News (in Korean). 6 January 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "우결 스핀오프 두근두근 흔들려 성민-효린 국립극장 촬영 완료 (Hyorin's Pit-a-pat Shake partner revealed to be Super Junior's Sungmin)" Nate News. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 29 March 2012 (in Korean)
- Kil, Hye Sung (15 February 2012). "Chinese version of WGM, which stars T-ara's Hyomin and Super Junior's Kyuhyun, airs in Korea". Star News. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- 글로벌편 우리 결혼했어요 시즌2. Daum (in Korean). Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- "Kim Heechul confirmed for 'WGM Global' first filming next week". Star News. 10 January 2014. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- "2008 MBC Entertainment Awards". MBC (in Korean). Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "2009 MBC Entertainment Awards". MBC (in Korean). Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- "Past Winners: 2009". Mnet 20's Choice Awards. Archived from the original on 7 July 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to We Got Married.|