We Can't Have Everything
|We Can't Have Everything|
|Directed by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Produced by||Cecil B. DeMille|
|Written by||William C. de Mille|
|Based on||We Can't Have Everything|
by Rupert Hughes
|Edited by||Anne Bauchens|
Cecil B. DeMille
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
As described in a film magazine, very much in love with her husband, Charity Coe Cheever (Williams) discovers that her husband is in love with Zada L'Etoile (Breamer), a popular dancer, and so she divorces him. Jim Dyckman (Dexter), who has always loved Charity since their childhood days, after finding it impossible to win Charity had married film actress Kedzie Thropp (Hawley). When Jim is free but Charity is not, Jim is very disappointed, but both decide to make the best of it. During one of Jim's absences Kedzie meets the young British airman, the Marquis Of Strathdene (Hatten), and falls very much in love with him. Out for a ride one evening, Jim and Charity are forced during a storm to remain in a roadhouse. Here is Kedzie's chance, she sues for divorce and marries her English aviator. The start of the war puts Jim in the trenches in Europe and Charity in a convalescent hospital, they meet again and love finally wins.
- Kathlyn Williams as Charity Coe Cheever
- Elliott Dexter as Jim Dyckman
- Wanda Hawley as Kedzie Thropp
- Sylvia Breamer as Zada L'Etoile
- Thurston Hall as Peter Cheever
- Raymond Hatton as Marquis Of Strathdene
- Tully Marshall as The Director
- Theodore Roberts as The Sultan
- James Neill as Detective
- Ernest Joy as Heavy
- William Elmer as Props
- Charles Ogle as Kedzie's Father
- Sylvia Ashton as Kedzie's Mother
- "Progressive Silent Film List: We Can't Have Everything". silentera.com. Retrieved June 21, 2008.
- Louvish, Simon (2008). Cecil B. DeMille: A Life in Art. Macmillan. p. 161. ISBN 978-0-312-37733-5.
- Birchard, Robert S. (2009). "We Can't Have Everything". Cecil B. DeMille's Hollywood. University Press of Kentucky. ISBN 978-0-8131-2324-0.
- The Library of Congress/FIAF American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog:..We Can't Have Everything
- "Reviews: We Can't Have Everything". Exhibitors Herald. New York City: Exhibitors Herald Company. 7 (6): 52. August 10, 1918.