Wandong railway station
Southbound view in December 2008
|Location||Epping-Kilmore Road, Wandong|
|Distance||55.29 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||11 April 1876|
The station opened on 11 April 1876, as a siding named Morphett's, with the North East line to Wodonga having opened in 1872. Soon after that, a short platform was provided alongside the road level crossing, and named Wandong. In 1896, the crossing gatehouse was converted into a station building and signal box, and in 1899, a timber bridge replaced the level crossing. Sidings for timber loading were also provided, and a narrow gauge tramway brought saw timber from nearby sawmills.
A permanent station building was provided in 1900, along with interlocking for the signals and a lever frame. The present road bridge dates to 1961, while all signals were removed in 1978. The station building on the Down platform was removed in 1979, while the bus shelters on the platforms were provided in 1990. A weatherboard shelter on the Down platform was removed by August 1991. In 1962 the Melbourne-Albury standard gauge line opened, which runs behind Platform 1.
Wandong station was damaged in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires, with repairs required to two bridges, 1,200 railway sleepers, and part of the platform. In August 2009, a new footbridge opened at the Up end of the station. Painted bright blue, the bridge complies with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act, and has been criticised as dominating the surrounding landscape.
Platforms & servicesEdit
- "Wandong". Vicsig. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Turton, Keith W (1973). Six And A Half Inches From Destiny. Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 89. ISBN 0-85849-012-9.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. April 1980. p. 77.
- Andrew Waugh. "Victorian Station Histories - Wandong" (PDF). VR History. Retrieved 2008-12-24.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. August 1991. p. 253.
- "Rebuilding after the fires". V/Line. 16 February 2009. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "New Railway Overpass For Wandong Now Complete". Victorian Government. 25 August 2009. Archived from the original on 11 October 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Wong, Marcus (30 August 2009). "New Wandong footbridge dominating the landscape". Wongm's Rail Gallery. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- Seymour - Melbourne Public Transport Victoria