This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011)
|• Type||Municipal Council|
|• Body||Walwa Municipal Council|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-10 (Sangli)|
It is 180 km from Pune and 340 km from Mumbai. Before independence Walawa was known for its "Pratisarkar movement". There were plenty of freedom fighters like Krantishigh Nana Patil, Vinayak Thorat, Nagnath Naikwadi, Rajarambapu Patil Hutatama kisan ahir and more whose native villages were in Walawa Subdivision.
The Krishna River passes through the taluka. The major crops produced in the taluka are sugarcane and grapes. The major occupations are Agriculture and Animal Husbandry.
In the 2001 India census, Walwa Taluka had 427,377 inhabitants, 220,542 (51.6%) were males and 206,835 (48.4%) were females, for a gender ratio of 938 females per thousand males. The taluka was 78.6% rural in 2001.
In the 2011 census the population had increased to 455,138 inhabitants and a gender ratio of 939 females per thousand males. The taluka was 77.0% rural in 2011. The literacy rate in 2011 was 86.03% overall in Walwa Taluka, with a rate of 92.83% for males and 78.92% for females. In 2011 in Walwa Taluka, 9.66% of the population was 0 to 6 years of age.
List of towns and villagesEdit
- Aitavade Bk
- Aitavade Kh
- Farnewadi (Borgaon)
- June Khed
- Kille Machhindra Gad
- Nave Khed
- Phalkewadi & Chandachiwadi
- Rethare Harnaksha
- Rethare Dharan
- Yede Machchhindra
- Yede Nipani
- Ashta linerce.ASHTA
- Hutatma Dairy
- Hutatma Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana
- Prakash Shikshan Mandal, Islampur
- Prakash Hospital & Research Center, Islampur
- Rajarambapu Patil Shikshan & Udyog Samuha, Islampur
- Kasegaon Education Society, Kasegaon.
- Kusumtai Rajarambapu Patil Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Islampur. (A Grade College)
- Arts & Commerce College Ashta.
- Arts & Commerce College Kasegaon.
- Rajarambapu Institute of Information Technology (RIIT), Rajaramnager, Islampur.
- B.Pharmacy College Kasegaon.
- Nursing Institute Of Islampur.
- Hutatma Kisan Ahir Vidyalaya.
- Jijamata Vidyalaya.
- Krantisinh Nana Patil college.
- Rajaram Shikshan Sanstha,Ashta.
- Rangrao Balaji Patil Shikshan Sanstha, Borgaon.
- Dr. Prakash Patil BalVikas Mandir, Borgaon.
- Kisan shikshan mandal walwa
- Annasaheb dange college of engineering ashta
- Annasaheb dange college of pharmacy ashta
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: nagar Panchayat Names of Valva-Islampur, Sangli, Maharashtra". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.
- "Nagnath Naikwadi – a revolutionary of a different mould". First Post. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Census 2001 Population Finder: Maharashtra: Sangli: Walwa". Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- "Population, Child Population in the age-group 0–6 and Literates by residence and sex, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 48.
- "Sex ratio of Population and Child Population in the age-group 0–6, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 9.
- "Literacy rates by residence and sex, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 18.
- "NPR Report: Maharashtra: Sangli: Walwa". National Population Register, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Archived from the original on 4 May 2013.