Walter Mzembi (born 16 March 1964) is a Zimbabwean politician. He previously served as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of Tourism and Hospitality Industry. He was the Member of the House of Assembly for Masvingo South (ZANU-PF). It was announced on November 27, 2017 that Simbarashe Mumbengegwi was now the acting Foreign Minister of Zimbabwe.
Mzembi in 2016
|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
9 October 2017 – 27 November 2017
|Preceded by||Simbarashe Mumbengegwi|
|Succeeded by||Sibusiso Moyo|
|Minister for Tourism|
13 February 2009 – 9 October 2017
|Preceded by||Office established|
|Succeeded by||Edgar Mbwembwe|
|Born||16 March 1964|
Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe
|Political party||Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front|
|Spouse(s)||Barbra Hernandes Mzembi,|
|Children||Gabriella Mzembi, Tanya Mzembi other 5|
He helped organize the UNWTO co-hosted by Zimbabwe and Zambia in August 2013. In 2017 Mzembi was the candidate of the African Union for the position of the 2018-21 Secretary-General of the World Tourism Organization.
On 19 November 2017, Mzembi was expelled from ZANU–PF by the party's central committee. Other prominent G40 politicians, including Grace Mugabe, Saviour Kasukuwere, Patrick Zhuwao, Ignatius Chombo, Jonathan Moyo, Shadreck Mashayamombe, Makhosini Hlongwane, Innocent Hamandishe, Samuel Undenge and Sarah Mahoka were also expelled from the party. His predecessor Simbarashe Mumbengegwi would also become acting Minister of Foreign Affairs on 27 November 2017 as well. He resurfaced at a scheduled parliamentary seating on the 28 November 2017 where he seemed jovial and loyal to the new leadership. He first went to greet First Lady Auxillia Mnangagwa followed by handshakes with several other MPs.
Mzembi was arrested on 5 January 2018 and appeared in court on the next day where he was granted bail. The case has however dragged with his lawyers citing his ill health. He was however seen in a video circulating on social media appearing fit. He was arrested over allegedly misuse of resources meant for a tourism conference in 2013...
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walter Mzembi.|
- "Index Mp-Mz". www.rulers.org.
- "Top 5 Things You Might Not Know About Walter Mzembi". 7 November 2016.
- "Cabinet reshuffled • 10 ministers reassigned new portfolios • Eight new appointments, 3 dropped". The Herald (Harare). 9 October 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Cabinet sworn in amid chaotic scenes". NewZimbabwe.com. 13 Feb 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- "UNWTO: Mzembi begs private sector aid". The Standard. 8 July 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "UNWTO inspection team satisfied — Mzembi". NewsDay Zimbabwe. 28 June 2013. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "African Union wants Alain St.Ange to withdraw from his candidacy for UNWTO Secretary General". eTurboNews. 25 April 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Chidza, Richard (2017-11-20). "Zanu PF axe falls on Grace, G40 kingpins - NewsDay Zimbabwe". NewsDay Zimbabwe. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "G40 members 'resurrect' in Parliament". My Harare Times News. 30 November 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Zimbabwe Charges Mugabe Loyalists With Corruption". Voice of America. 5 January 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- "Ex-Cabinet ministers aligned with ousted Robert Mugabe face corruption charges in Zimbabwe". The Associated Press. 6 January 2018. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
|This article about a Zimbabwean politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|