Wagle Ki Duniya
|Wagle Ki Duniya|
|Created by||R. K. Laxman|
|Directed by||Kundan Shah|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||2|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||Approx. 25 minutes|
|Original network||DD National|
|Original release||1988 – 1990|
Wagle Ki Duniya (literally: 'Wagle's World') is an indian sitcom that aired on DD National from 1988 to 1990. It was produced by Durga Khote, directed by Kundan Shah, and was based on characters created by noted cartoonist, R. K. Laxman, especially "the common man" about the issues of common middle-class Indian man. It starred Anjan Srivastav as a bumbling sales clerk in a multinational and Bharati Achrekar as his wife.
The series was set around everyday struggles, of nervous sales clerk, Srinivas Wagle, who lived with prudence of a middle class person of the time.
The weekly series was conceived by R.K. Laxman, and he himself narrated the script, It was based on RK Laxman character about quintessential common man. Director, Kundan Shah had previously directed comedy classic Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983) and his 1985-1986, TV series Nukkad with Saeed Akhtar Mirza.
Later, Laxman was even present during the screentest for the lead character. The original run was supposed to be of six episodes, but seeing the response, it ran up to 13 episodes. The series achieved a cult status, and made Anjan Srivastav a household name. It was later revived as Wagle Ki Nayi Duniya (The New World of Wagle). Film actor, Shahrukh Khan made a guest appearance in the series, before he made his big television debut with TV series, Fauji (1988).
In one of its most memorable episodes, Wagle goes out to buy fabric for curtains during Diwali, but ends up buying 10 times the amount of fabric required. Thus the family doesn't only have curtains but also sofa covers, shirts and a saree of the same shiny fabric.
- Anjan Srivastav as Srinivas Wagle
- Bharati Achrekar as Radhika Wagle
- Shahrukh Khan (guest appearance - episode Police Station) 
- Dushyant Nagpal as Raju Wagle
- Narendra Gupta as Policeman (episode Police Station)
In 2012, the character Wagle was brought back with new series by same team, Detective Wagle which started on Doordarshan channel in November 2012, where Anjan Srivastav reprised his role as Wagle, while the role of his wife was played by Sulbha Arya.
- "Aanjjan Srivastav returns with new version of Wagle Ki Duniya". NDTV MOvies. 23 November 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Time for adaptations". The Times of India. 1 December 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- B. G. Verghese, ed. (2006). Tomorrow's India: Another Tryst with Destiny. Penguin Books India. p. 325. ISBN 0670058637.
- "R K Laxman cartoons now on your TV sets". The Times of India. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Chaya Unnikrishnan (16 October 2009). "The Long Run". Screen. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Trapped in Wagle's mould". Indian Express. 9 November 1999. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "TV remade to order!". The Times of India. 11 August 2010.
..cult shows like Hum Log and Wagle Ki Duniya ..
- "The King and the Khan". The Hindu. 25 August 2007. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Chitrapu Uday Bhaskar (6 October 2009). "Visual extravaganza". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "'I met SRK before he became a star'". Rediff.com movies. 28 October 2005. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "The Old World Is Not Enough". Tehelka Magazine, Vol 7, Issue 30, Dated. 31 July 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Anjan breaks his own record". 15 April 2010. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- "Aanjjan Srivastav is happy with co-star Sulbha Arya". The Times of India. 2 January 2013.