Waconia Township, Carver County, Minnesota
"Out Of Water....Comes Life"
|• Total||32.5 sq mi (84.2 km2)|
|• Land||27.1 sq mi (70.2 km2)|
|• Water||5.4 sq mi (14.0 km2)|
|Elevation||971 ft (296 m)|
|• Density||47.4/sq mi (18.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665887|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.5 square miles (84.2 km²), of which 27.1 square miles (70.2 km²) is land and 5.4 square miles (14.0 km²) (16.58%) is water.
- Burandt Lake (west three-quarters)
- Donders Lake
- Goose Lake (south three-quarters)
- Hydes Lake
- Lake Patterson
- Lake Waconia (west three-quarters)
- Rice Lake (northeast edge)
- Rutz Lake
- Swan Lake
- Watertown Township (north)
- Laketown Township (east)
- Dahlgren Township (southeast)
- Benton Township (south)
- Young America Township (southwest)
- Camden Township (west)
The township contains three cemeteries: Rutz Lake, Saint Josephs and Waconia Public.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,284 people, 429 households, and 349 families residing in the township. The population density was 47.4 people per square mile (18.3/km²). There were 443 housing units at an average density of 16.3/sq mi (6.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.14% White, 0.08% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 0.08% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.
There were 429 households of out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.4% were married couples living together, 3.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 18.6% were non-families. 12.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.99 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.7% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 29.8% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 9.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $76,113, and the median income for a family was $76,782. Males had a median income of $46,563 versus $35,132 for females. The per capita income for the township was $27,437. About 2.1% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.9% of those under age 18 and 10.7% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- United States Census Bureau American FactFinder - Waconia Township total population
- Upham, Warren (1920). Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. Minnesota Historical Society. p. 84.