WOMEX (short for Worldwide Music Expo) is an international world music support and development project based in Berlin, whose main event is an exposition held annually in different locations throughout Europe. It integrates a trade fair, showcases, conferences, film screenings, networking sessions, and awards. Musicians and their labels have the possibility to make contacts for international touring and album distribution.
For 2009-2011, WOMEX was hosted in Copenhagen, Denmark in a new partnership with WorldMusicFair Copenhagen, a consortium of the Roskilde Festival, the Copenhagen Jazz Festival, and tourist organization Wonderful Copenhagen. Additional partners were the events producers Welcome, the Danish Center for Culture and Development, Global CPH and World Music Denmark. Other locations of past WOMEX events: Berlin (1994, 1999, 2000), Brussels (1995), Marseille (1997), Stockholm (1998), Rotterdam (2001), Essen (2002, 2004), Newcastle upon Tyne (2005) and Seville (2003, 2006, 2007, 2008), Copenhagen (2009, 2010, 2011), Thessaloniki (2012), Cardiff (2013), Santiago de Compostela (2014 and again in 2016), Budapest (2015), Katowice (2017), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (2018), Tampere (2019), Digital Edition feat.Budapest Ritmo (2020), and WOMEX 2021 will be held in Porto, Portugal.
WOMEX runs during October every year, and in many cases, during the last October weekend. On-site registration begins on Wednesday, when the opening ceremony is held. Conference attendees can visit the opening event, the conference program, the trade fair, the showcases on the evenings of Thursday, Friday and Saturday and the WOMEX awards on Sunday, the last day of the event. Although WOMEX is primarily intended for professionals and trade visitors within the world music scene, locals and tourists can buy tickets for most of the evening showcases. In 2020, due to COVID-19, WOMEX for the very first time took place digitally.
The WOMEX Awards were first introduced in 1999. Since then, WOMEX presents its awards to artists or professionals each year for special achievements in the international music industry. Since 2006 WOMEX, in coordination with World Music Charts Europe and, from 2017 on, also with Transglobal World Music Chart, has presented Top 20 labels of the year who had the most chart-topping artist releases.
Other music fairsEdit
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2019)
- SXSW in Austin, Texas
- Midem in Cannes, France
- Jazzfest, in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Moshito, in Johannesburg, South Africa
- Jazz Ahead, in Bremen, Germany
- Classical Next, location varies from year to year, just like WOMEX (same organizers).
- Berlin Music Week, in Berlin, Germany
- Medimex, in Bari, Italy
- Reeperbahnfestival, in Hamburg, Germany
- Eurosonic Noorderslag in Groningen, The Netherlands
- Indonesian Music Meeting in Jogjakarta, Indonesia
- Visa for Music in Rabat, Morocco
- Mundial Montréal in Montréal, Canada
- Pareles, Jon (31 October 2005). "Castanets and Slide Ukuleles, Looking for a Chance to Be Heard". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- "WOMEX 13 in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom". Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "WOMEX 15 IN BUDAPEST, HUNGARY ｜21 - 25 OCTOBER 2015". womex.com. 2014. Archived from the original on 5 December 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Womex 2015". Music Business World.
- Davis, Barry (31 December 2014). "Worldly sounds". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- WOMEX Awards
- "WOMEX Awards Archive". www.womex.com. Retrieved 2015-12-09.
- "WOMEX - the World Music Expo". www.womex.com. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "WOMEX - the World Music Expo". www.womex.com. Retrieved 2017-10-17.