WFHB 91.3 FM is a community radio FM station in Bloomington, Indiana, United States. The station has three translators serving southern Indiana: 98.1 in Bloomington, 100.7 in Nashville and 106.3 in Ellettsville.
|Broadcast area||Bloomington, Ellettsville, Nashville, Indiana|
|Branding||Volunteer powered community radio|
|HAAT||119.0 meters (390.4 ft)|
|Call sign meaning||FireHouse Broadcasting|
|Owner||Bloomington Community Radio Inc.|
WFHB has a small paid staff and over 150 volunteers, who perform a range of duties, from office administration to music and news programming. The station is supported financially by contributions from listeners and program underwriting by local businesses, as well as by community service grants from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
The idea for WFHB began in the summer of 1975, when radio enthusiasts from Bloomington attended the National Alternative Radio Konference in Madison, Wisconsin. After returning from the conference, they founded a non-profit organization to establish a community radio station and began the process of applying for a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) license and raising the necessary funds. Eighteen years later, on January 4, 1993, following numerous applications and several court cases, WFHB began broadcasting in a former city fire station in downtown Bloomington.
In addition to its main frequency, WFHB is relayed by three translators to widen its broadcast area.
|City of license||ERP
|W251AG||98.1 FM||Bloomington, Indiana||250||D||FCC|
|W264BP||100.7 FM||Nashville, Indiana||27||D||FCC|
|W292DD||106.3 FM||Ellettsville, Indiana||38||D||FCC|
Local News and Public Affairs ProgramsEdit
- "CPB Adds Ten Radio Stations to its Community Service Grant Program". Corporation for Public Broadcasting news release. August 5, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "Volunteer Power". WFHB website. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Howley, Kevin (October 2001). "Talking about Public Affairs Programming: WFHB and the Legacy of Listener-Sponsored Radio". Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television (Vol. 21, No. 4). Cite journal requires
- *"WFHB History". Prometheus Radio Project. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WFHB
- Radio-Locator information on WFHB
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WFHB
- BRING IT ON
- Daily Local News
- Standing Room Only
- Hola Bloomington
- Bloomington Storytelling Project
- Harvest Home
- What's The Juice?
- Brown County Hour