WBGO (88.3 FM, "Jazz 88") is a public radio station licensed to Newark, New Jersey. Studios and offices are located on Park Place in downtown Newark, and its transmitter is located at 4 Times Square in Manhattan. The station primarily plays jazz music. In addition the station airs public affairs programming, locally produced newscasts, traffic reports from Total Traffic during morning and afternoon rush hours, and NPR-produced newscasts and programming. It is also available as an Internet radio station, with both a live stream and on-demand replay of shows. New Jersey Public Radio simulcasts WBGO on their radio network every morning between 12am and 5am. WBGO also broadcasts in HD Radio and transmits a separate jazz format, the "Jazz Bee" on its HD2 channel.
|City||Newark, New Jersey|
|Broadcast area||North Jersey|
New York City
|Branding||WBGO Jazz 88|
|Slogan||The Jazz Source|
|Frequency||88.3 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1948|
HD2: Jazz "The Jazz Bee"
|HAAT||269.2 meters (883 ft)|
|Owner||Newark Public Radio|
WBGO's first license was granted on January 26, 1947. Originally owned by the Newark Board of Education with studios in Central High School, it was established as the first public radio station in New Jersey when in 1979 the broadcast license was transferred to Newark Public Radio in cooperation with the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. WBGO then became affiliated with National Public Radio (NPR) and went to a 24-hour broadcast format in 1980.
While WBGO's base of operations remain in Newark, the station's broadcast antenna and transmission system moved to Midtown Manhattan on December 30, 2011.
Until 2008, WBGO was, with smooth jazz station WQCD 101.9 FM, one of two major FM jazz stations in the New York City metropolitan area. That changed when Emmis Communications decided to change WQCD's format to rock and its call letters to WRXP, leaving WBGO as the New York area's only jazz station.
- Gary Walker: Morning Jazz
- Brian Delp: Mid-day Jazz
- Michael Bourne: Blues Break, Singers Unlimited* (*weekends)
- Bill Daughtry: Afternoon Jazz
- Nicole Sweeney: Evening Jazz
- Daniel Karcher: Jazz After Hours, Sunday Morning Harmony* (*weekends)
- Bobby Sanabria: Latin Jazz Cruise
- Christian McBride: Jazz Night in America
- Simon Rentner: The Checkout
- Bob Porter: Portraits in Blue, Saturday Morning Function, Swing Party
- Felix Hernandez: Rhythm Revue
- Monifa Brown: Saturday Afternoon Jazz
- Rob Crocker: Saturday Evening Jazz, Sunday Afternoon Jazz
- Sheila Anderson: Weekend Jazz After Hours, Salon Sessions, Sunday Night Music Mix
- Doug Doyle: WBGO's News Director, Morning News Anchor, Co-Host of WBGO Journal & Host of SportsJam
- Alexandra Hill: WBGO's Afternoon News Anchor
- Ang Santos: WBGO News Reporter
- Joe Hernandez: WBGO's Statehouse Reporter
- Michael Hill: Host of Newark Today