|CIS Executive Secretary|
14 July 2004 – 5 October 2007
|Preceded by||Yury Yarov|
|Succeeded by||Sergey Lebedev|
|Minister of Internal Affairs|
21 May 1999 – 28 March 2001
|Preceded by||Sergei Stepashin|
|Succeeded by||Boris Gryzlov|
|Born||July 28, 1953|
Morshansk, Tambov Oblast, RSFSR, USSR
From 1999 to 2001, he was the Interior Minister of Russia, and Secretary of Security Council from 2001 to 2004. As the Minister of the Interior, he was charged with overseeing the security of sensitive internal sites and materials such as high-value train shipments and nuclear weapons facilities. His tenure coincided with a period of serious concern over the security of Russia's nuclear weapons stocks, especially with regard to the 2000 computer bug and its potential effects in the run up to and after the Y2K switch. From 14 July 2004 to 5 October 2007 he was the executive secretary of the Commonwealth of Independent States. In 2002 he was injured in a road crash in Kamchatka together with region's governor Mikhail Mashkovtsev.
Honours and awardsEdit
- Hero of the Russian Federation (October 27, 1999)
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 3rd class (2003)
- Order of Courage (1998)
- Order of Honour (1998)
- Order of the Badge of Honour (1986)
- Order for Personal Courage (1992)
- Jubilee Medal "300 Years of the Russian Navy" (1996)
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 850th Anniversary of Moscow"
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of Saint Petersburg" (2003)
- Order of Holy Prince Daniel of Moscow, 3rd class (Russian Orthodox Church)
- "Nuclear Weapons in Russia: Safety, Security, and Control Issues" (PDF). CRS Issue Brief for Congress. August 15, 2003. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- "(Quote), Perspectives". Newsweek. March 26, 2001. Archived from the original on May 12, 2011. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
- "Пострадавшего в аварии Рушайло отправляют в Москву спецрейсом". Newsweek. September 9, 2002. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved March 18, 2011.
| Interior Minister of Russia
| Secretary of the Security Council of the Russian Federation
| Executive Secretary of CIS
June 14, 2004-October 5, 2007