Vivo is an upcoming American computer-animated musical film produced by Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation. The film is directed by Kirk DeMicco and co-directed by Brandon Jeffords, from a screenplay by Quiara Alegría Hudes and a story by Peter Barsocchini with songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The film marks Sony Pictures Animation's first musical film.
|Directed by||Kirk DeMicco|
|Produced by||Lisa Stewart|
|Screenplay by||Quiara Alegría Hudes|
|Story by||Peter Barsocchini|
|Edited by||Erika Dapkewicz|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
Originally pitched to DreamWorks Animation in 2010 by Miranda, the film was cancelled due to a restructuring at the company in 2015; however, it was later revived and fast-tracked by Sony Pictures Animation on December 14, 2016.
Vivo is currently scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on June 4, 2021, by Sony Pictures Releasing.
The film's origins trace back to 2010, when Lin-Manuel Miranda pitched an idea for a film to DreamWorks Animation following the success of his stage musical In the Heights. Due to a restructuring in 2015, DreamWorks eventually dropped the project. On December 14, 2016, Sony Pictures Animation eventually acquired the project from DreamWorks and fast-tracked it under the name Vivo, with Kirk DeMicco directing, Lisa Stewart producing, Laurence Mark executive-producing, and Quiara Alegría Hudes writing the screenplay from a story by Peter Barsocchini. On June 12, 2019, Sony Pictures Animation head Kristine Belson announced at the 2019 Annecy International Animated Film Festival that Rich Moore would join the film as co-producer of the film with Roger Deakins serving as the film's cinematographer.
On December 14, 2016, the film was scheduled to be theatrically released on December 18, 2020. On January 26, 2018, the film's theatrical release date was moved a month earlier, to November 6, 2020. On November 1, 2019, the film's theatrical release date was moved to April 16, 2021. On April 24, 2020, the film's theatrical release date was moved to June 4, 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The film's teaser trailer will be released on November 4, 2020.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (14 December 2016). "Sony Animation Sets Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'Vivo' For 2020 Bow". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Han, Angie (December 14, 2016). "Lin-Manuel Miranda's Vivo Coming From Sony in 2020". SlashFilm. Retrieved October 8, 2019.
- Hopewell, John (12 June 2019). "Sony Pictures Animation Links To Tencent, Sets 'Boondocks,' Tartakovsky Duo". Variety. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Hipes, Patrick (26 January 2018). "'Vivo', Lin-Manuel Miranda's Animated Movie, Shifts Release Date". Deadline. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Gonzalez, Umberto (November 1, 2019). "'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse' Sequel Lands Spring 2022 Release Date". TheWrap. Retrieved November 1, 2019.
- Bean, Travis (April 24, 2020). "'Spider-Man 3' And 'Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 2' Get New Release Dates". Forbes. Retrieved April 24, 2020.
- Sandy, Larry (October 29, 2020). "'Vivo' First Teaser Trailer on November 4th!". Twitter. Retrieved October 29, 2020.