Viviane Sassen (born 1972) is a Dutch artist living in Amsterdam. She is a photographer who works in both the fashion and fine art world. She is known for her use of geometric shapes, often abstractions of bodies. She has been widely published and exhibited. She was included in the 2011 New Photography exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art. She has created campaigns for Miu Miu, Stella McCartney, and Louis Viutton, among others. She has won the Dutch Prix de Rome (2007)  and the Infinity Award from International Center of Photography.
1972 (age 45–46)|
|Awards||International Center of Photography's Infinity Award, Kees Scherer Award, Prix de Rome (Netherlands)|
Life and workEdit
She is of the generation of photographer/artists that alternate personal, editorial, and commercial work and embrace an interdisciplinary attitude. She says, "You should always be able to judge a photograph on different grounds, on political, social, emotional, but also on personal grounds."
She is known for her use of geometric shapes, often abstractions of bodies. The photographed bodies are often intertwined, inspired by daily physical contact with strangers she experienced in Africa. Conscious of the stereotypical images of famine and poverty, she includes contemporary elements abundant in Africa like cell phones and automobiles.
Commissioned by Italian luxury goods manufacturer Bottega Veneta, Sassen photographed Mica Arganaraz and Sven de Vries at the Kröller-Müller Museum for the brand's spring/summer 2016 advertisements.
- Flamboya. Contrasto, 2008, ISBN 978-88-6965-139-7.
- Sketches: Polaroids of Africa. Kominek, 2010.
- Parasomnia. Munich: Prestel, 2011, ISBN 978-3-7913-4521-5.
- Die Son Sien Alles. Libraryman, 2011. ISBN 978-91-86269-19-7.
- Roxane. London and Paris: Oodee, 2012. ISBN 978-0-9570389-1-2.
- In and Out of Fashion. Munich: Prestel, 2012. ISBN 978-3-7913-4828-5.
- Etan&Me. London and Paris: Odee, 2013. ISBN 978-0-9570389-4-3.
- Lexicon. Tokyo: Art Beat, 2014. ISBN 978-4902080483. Edition of 1000 copies.
- Pikin Slee. Munich: Presetel, 2014. ISBN 978-3791349534.
- Umbra. Munich: Presetel, 2015. ISBN 978-3791381602. Reprint edition.
- Roxane II. London and Paris: Odee, 2017. ISBN 978-0-9570389-9-8. Edition of 1000 copies. With a poem by Maria Barnas.
- Of Mud And Lotus. Tokyo: Art Beat, 2017. ISBN 978-4-902080-63-6. Edited by Shigeo Goto and Sawako Fukai. Edition of 1000 copies.
- Hot Mirror. Munich: Prestel, 2018. ISBN 978-3791384764.
Solo exhibitions (selected)Edit
- 2001: I see you gorgeous blossom special, Fotofestival Naarden, Naarden Vesting, the Netherlands.
- 2010: Flamboya, Danziger Projects, New York, USA.
- 2012: Parasomnia, Stevenson, Cape Town.
- 2013: In and Out of Fashion', Les Rencontres d’Arles Photo Festival, Arles, France.
- 2014: Pikin Slee and Etan & Me, Stevenson Gallery, Cape Town, South-Africa.
- 2014: Umbra, Nederlands Fotomuseum, Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- 2014: Analemma: Fashion Photography 1992 - 2012, Photographer's Gallery, London, 31 October 2014 – 18 January 2015.
Exhibitions with othersEdit
- 2011/2012: New Photography 2011, Museum of Modern Art, New York, September 2011 – January 2012. Photographs by Sassen and Moyra Davey, Zhang Dali, George Georgiou, Deana Lawson and Doug Rickard.
- 2012: The Youth Code, part of Daegu Photo Biennale, South Korea. Included work by Sassen as well as Anouk Kruithof, Ryan McGinley and Willem Popelier.
- 2007: Prix de Rome for her Ultra Violet photography series in Africa.
- 2011: Infinity Award: Applied/Fashion/Advertising Photography, International Center of Photography.
- 2013 German Photo Book Prize for In and Out of Fashion
- 2015: Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society.
- 2015: David Octavius Hill Medal from the German Photography Academy
- 2016 German Photo Book Prize for Umbra
- "GUP - Guide to Unique Photography".
- "New Photography 2011". Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 26 October 2015.
- "Viviane Sassen: In and Out of Fashion". W Magazine.
- Viviane Sassen - LensCulture. "Viviane Sassen". LensCulture.
- "Viviane Sassen".
- "MoMA - New Photography 2011 - Viviane Sassen".
- "camera littera » Viviane Sassen - As the crow flies / Interview".
- O'Hagan, Sean (12 October 2013). "Fashion photographer Viviane Sassen: a different take". The Guardian.
- "Viviane Sassen". Musee.
- "Deutsche Börse Photography Prize 2015". Photographers' Gallery. Archived from the original on 17 July 2015. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Alessandra Turra (January 5, 2016), Bottega Veneta Taps Viviane Sassen for Spring Ads Women's Wear Daily.
- "Analemma: Fashion Photography 1992 - 2012 Archived 2014-12-07 at the Wayback Machine.", Photographer's Gallery. Accessed 3 December 2014.
- Weeks, Jonny (29 October 2012). "Red wine and doughnuts at the Daegu Photo Biennale, South Korea". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "The RPS 2015 Awards announced" Accessed 30 October 2015
- "VIVIANE SASSEN news". Stevenson. Retrieved 26 February 2016.