Virgin Media O2 (legally incorporated as VMED O2 UK Limited) is a mass media and telecommunications company based in London, England. The company was formed in June 2021 as a 50:50 joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefónica through the merger of their respective Virgin Media and O2 UK businesses.
|Founded||1 June 2021|
|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
|Lutz Schüler (CEO)|
As of May 2022, Virgin Media and O2 UK have separate consumer websites and branding, as well as operate two separate mobile services (Virgin Mobile and O2 Mobile). They have introduced their joint venture 'Volt', where consumers get rewarded for having both an O2 Pay Monthly plan with Virgin Media broadband. Notice to cancel a mobile virtual network operator deal previously formed between Virgin Mobile and Vodafone (made prior to the Virgin and O2 merger) was given in the company's Q2 2021 financial results, but has yet to take effect.
- Harris, Jamie (1 June 2021). "Virgin Media O2 pledges to create 'unbeatable choice' as merged brand launches". The Independent. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- Warrington, James (1 June 2021). "Virgin Media O2 promises market shake-up after £31bn merger". City A.M. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "VMED O2 UK LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk.
- "Virgin Media and O2 'blockbuster' merger provisionally approved". BBC News. 14 April 2021. Retrieved 1 June 2021.
- "Virgin Media & O2 Benefits | Virgin Media". www.virginmedia.com. Retrieved 10 December 2021.
- Jackson, Mark (13 February 2022). "Virgin Media O2 UK Moves to Cancel Vodafone Mobile Deal UPDATE". ISPreview UK. Retrieved 7 May 2022.