Violin Sonata No. 5 (Beethoven)
The Violin Sonata No. 5 in F major, Op. 24, is a violin sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven. It is often known as the "Spring Sonata" (Frühlingssonate), and was published in 1801. It was dedicated to Count Moritz von Fries, a patron to whom Beethoven also dedicated two other works of the same year—the String Quintet in C major, Op. 29 and the Violin Sonata No. 4—as well as his later Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92.
Beethoven initially intended to pair this piece with his Violin Sonata No. 4, Opus 23. As Joseph Szigeti noted, the two pieces complement each other in both key and character. This piece has a more lyrical quality while its intended pairing has a grabbing and agitated touch. However, the two were never published together and thus have different opus numbers. The reason for such a separation is unknown.
The work is in four movements:
The Scherzo and its trio are particularly brief; the entire sonata takes approximately 22 minutes to perform. The name "Spring Sonata" was given to it after Beethoven's death.
While reviewing the cpo recording of composer Ferdinand Ries's violin sonatas Op. 8 No. 1, Op. 16 No. 2 and Op. 71, Jonathan Woolf commented that the Op. 8 No. 1 sonata was heavily inspired by this work.
- "Beethoven's music with Opus number". Ludwig van Beethoven's website. Retrieved 2014-10-18.
- Szigeti, Joseph (1965). The Ten Beethoven Sonatas for Piano and Violin. Urbana, Ill. : American String Teachers Association, ©1965. p. 14. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- Lockwood, Lewis (July 8, 2004). The Beethoven Violin Sonatas: History, Criticism, Performance. University of Illinois Press. p. 24. ISBN 0252029321. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- Nettle, Paul (May 20, 2007). Beethoven Encyclopedia. Philosophical Library. pp. 295–296. ISBN 0806529970. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- "ABRSM Bowed Strings Syllabus 2016–2019" (PDF). ABRSM. 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2020.
- Woolf 2016
- Violin Sonata No. 5: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project
- Free sheet music of Violin Sonata No. 5 from Cantorion.org
- Performance of Violin Sonata No. 5 by Corey Cerovsek (violin) and Paavali Jumppanen (piano) from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
|This article about a sonata is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|