Prefecture building of the Vienne department, in Poitiers
Location of Vienne in France
|• President of the General Council||Claude Bertaud|
|• Total||6,990 km2 (2,700 sq mi)|
|• Density||62/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2|
Established on March 4, 1790 during the French Revolution, Vienne is one of the original 83 departments. It was created from parts of the former provinces of Poitou, Touraine, and Berry, the latter being a part of the Duchy of Aquitaine until the 15th century.
The original Acadians, who settled in and around what is now Nova Scotia, left Vienne for North America after 1604. Kennedy (2014) argues that the emigrants carried to Canada their customs and social structure. They were frontier peoples, who dispersed their settlements based on kinship. They optimized use of farmland and emphasized trading for a profit. They were hierarchical and politically active.
Édith Cresson, France's first woman Prime Minister from 1991-1992, was a deputy (MP) for the department.
Current National Assembly RepresentativesEdit
Population development since 1801:
The capital Poitiers is the see of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Poitiers, which pastorally serves the department.
Tourism and sightsEdit
The most famous tourist sites include the Futuroscope theme park, Poitiers (city of Art and History), the Abbey Church of Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, a UNESCO world heritage site, the animal parks of Monkey's Valley in Romagne & the Crocodile Planet in Civaux.
Goat cheese making is an important industry of Vienne.
Vienne has a partnership relationship with:
- Gregory M.W. Kennedy. Something of a Peasant Paradise? Comparing Rural Societies in Acadie and the Loudunais, 1604-1755 (MQUP, 2014)
- Site sur la Population et les Limites Administratives de la France
- "Partneri- ja kummikaupungit (Partnership and twinning cities)". Oulun kaupunki (City of Oulu) (in Finnish). Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- 友好城市 (Friendly cities) Archived 2012-05-31 at WebCite, 市外办 (Foreign Affairs Office), 2008-03-22. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- 国际友好城市一览表 (International Friendship Cities List) Archived 2012-05-31 at WebCite, 2011-01-20. (Translation by Google Translate.)
- 友好交流 (Friendly exchanges) Archived 2014-03-31 at WebCite, 2011-09-13. (Translation by Google Translate.)