Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra
The Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra (German: ORF Radio-Symphonieorchester Wien, or RSO Wien) is the orchestra of the Austrian national broadcaster Österreichischer Rundfunk (ORF). Founded in 1969 with the name of the ORF-Symphonieorchester (ORF Symphony Orchestra), it is the only radio orchestra in the country. It acquired its current name in 2009.
The orchestra performs in a number of venues, including the following:
Unlike most other Austrian orchestras, the RSO Wien has a substantial focus on contemporary classical music.
Milan Horvat was the orchestra's first chief conductor, from 1969 to 1975. During the tenure of Bertrand de Billy as chief conductor, from 2002 to 2010, he had disputes with management over funding and the continuing status of the orchestra. In January 2009, the RSO Wien announced the appointment of Cornelius Meister as its seventh chief conductor, effective with the 2010–2011 season and with an initial contract through August 2014. Meister has conducted the Vienna RSO in a commercial recording of the music of Gottfried von Einem. In April 2016, the orchestra announced that Meister is to conclude his Vienna RSO tenure in 2018, at the end of his most recent contract extension.
In 2014, Marin Alsop first guest-conducted the Vienna RSO. In January 2018, the Vienna RSO announced the appointment of Alsop as its next chief conductor, effective 1 September 2019, with an initial contract of 3 years. She is the first female conductor to be named chief conductor of the Vienna RSO. Alsop took the title of chief conductor designate with immediate effect, through the 2018–2019 season. The current Intendant of the orchestra is Christoph Becher.
- "Geschichte des ORF Radio-Symphonieorchesters Wien" [History of the ORF Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra] (in German). Retrieved 26 February 2020.
- "Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra names new chief conductor". Agence France-Presse. 9 January 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2009.[dead link]
- "Cornelius Meister zum neuen RSO Chefdirigenten ab September 2010 bestellt" (PDF) (Press release). Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. 9 January 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2009.
- "Chefdirigent Meister verlässt RSO im Jahr 2018". ORF. 13 April 2016. Retrieved 6 October 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Marin Alsop appointed new Chief Conductor of the Vienna RSO" (Press release). Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra. 29 January 2018. Retrieved 29 January 2018.