Videocine Entretenimiento is a Mexican film company, created and owned by TelevisaUnivision under its Televisa Cine brand. It is focused mainly on distributing and producing films for the Mexican market, while also distributing international films to the country.
1978 (as Televicine)
|Founder||Emilio Azcárraga Milmo|
|Rodrigo de Pedro (general director)|
Videocine has released over 400 films, the majority of which are produced in Mexico, several being among the country's highest-grossing produced films. It has continually been releasing its films theatrically amidst competition with streaming companies and major Hollywood releases in Mexico.
Televisa has launched a then-unnamed film division on May 12, 1971, with its first film at the time being La Celestina, released in 1976. It wasn't officially commenced until January 24, 1978, as Televicine. Its first film produced under the new name was El Chanfle, released in 1979. Videocine was founded as the second film division of Televisa at the time. In 1999, both Televicine and Videocine have merged into a single company, maintaining the Videocine brand.
In 2006, managing director Eckehardt von Damm has stepped down after serving since 1994.
- "Videocine se lanza a la búsqueda de guiones originales mexicanos". LatAm cinema (in Spanish). LatAm cinema. 7 June 2019. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "Contacto". Videocine. Videocine. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- Gutiérrez, Vicente (17 February 2016). "El cine mexicano sí es negocio: Videocine". El Economista. Periódico El Economista S.A. de C.V. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- Castañares, Itzel (27 April 2021). "Videocine toma ventaja frente a rivales y puede ganar aún más mercado". El Ceo. Elceo.com. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- Noguez, Octavio (30 January 2019). "Portafolio de marcas, ¿Qué hay detrás de Videocine?". Merca 2.0 (in Spanish). MERCADOTECNIA PUBLICIDAD MARKETING NOTICIAS. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "Nostros". Videocine (in Spanish). Videocine. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 30 August 2021. Archived from 18 May 2021.
- Sutter, Mary (21 April 1999). "Televisa drops film unit". Variety (magazine). Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 25 December 2021.
- Hecht, John (1 November 2006). "Von Damm exits Videocine". The Hollywood Reporter. The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "Assets with Univision in Landmark Transaction". Univision. Univision Communications Inc. 13 April 2021. Retrieved 30 August 2021.
- "¿Por qué nuestro logo es una bicicleta?". Videocine. Videocine, S.A. de C.V. 19 June 2020. Retrieved 5 September 2021.