Victoria Luz Cartagena
February 14, 1985
|Occupation||Stage, film, and television actress|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
Victoria was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Victor and Lucy Cartagena. She attended Penn State University, where she earned a degree in education. She was later accepted into the American Musical and Dramatic Academy. Cartagena has starred in numerous theater productions and participated in various plays and workshops for New York's Lark Theater.
Most recently, Victoria appeared on the WB television series The Bedford Diaries, NBC's Kidnapped, and the 2008 season finale of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. She has appeared on several different TV shows throughout her career.
Cartagena appeared as Renee Montoya in the FOX TV series Gotham. In the first episode she was credited as recurring. Cartagena would have a contract role starting in the second episode. She said in an interview with Lucia I. Suarez, “I’ve seen them all,” the actress told Fox News Latino, adding that she loved that there was a character Vicki Vale in the comics. “Everyone knows Batman.” In an interview with Graeme McMillan, "I feel lucky to be playing someone who’s so important," the actress tells THR. “She’s pretty amazing,” she tells The Hollywood Reporter. “I’m playing such an iconic character, and I feel lucky to be playing someone who’s so important to the [LGBTQ] community.” She states to Leeds in an interview, "I never read a comic before the show! But now, because I’m on the show, I really want to know everything about her. So I find myself reading comic books more and really enjoying them." Cartagena states about her gay character on Gotham, "I guess both. It’s definitely a straight-up fact of who she is as a person — she’s a woman, she’s a cop, she’s Latina, she’s gay. But that said, her perspective on things adds a voice to the conversation by virtue of her background that wouldn’t necessarily be there, or expected to be there." She states in the interview with Leeds, "I believe that Renee really did break it off because of her sobriety. And I believe that she really, really loves Barbara. But I think that Renee is at a point in her life where she is more self-aware than she ever was — and I don’t know if that’s because she’s gone through recovery — and she’s just willing to step away from the person that she loves in order to save herself. Because she’s been there with Barbara before, and it ended badly. So at least, at this point, she has the benefit of hindsight." In August 2015, it was reported that Cartagena would not be returning as a member of the main cast for season two.
|2004||Baby Fat||Feisty Latina|
|2006||Sorry Ain't Enough||Lillian|
|2010||Salt||Portico Checkpoint Agent|
|2016||The Pastor||Mercia Alvarez|
|2006||The Bedford Diaries||Zoe Lopez||Main role|
|2006||Kidnapped||Diane Weaver||"Special Delivery"|
|2007||Protect and Serve||Anita Esparza||TV film|
|2008||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Cecelia Cruz||"Cold"|
|2009||Army Wives||Carmen Richards||"Fire in the Hole"|
|2009||The Good Wife||Teresa Reyes||"Crash"|
|2011||Unforgettable||Maria Ortiz||"Check Out Time"|
|2011||A Gifted Man||Maria||"In Case of Memory Loss"|
|2013||Blue Bloods||Letitia Williams||"Warriors"|
|2013||Elementary||Hope||"Déjà Vu All Over Again"|
|2014-2015||Gotham||Renee Montoya||Main role|
|2016||The Path||Evelyn Hernandez||3 episodes|
|2018||Jessica Jones||Sonia Arocho||2 episodes|
|2018||Deception||Anne Rojas||"Loading Up"|
|2019||Almost Family||Amanda||Main role|
- "Victoria Cartagena". TV Guide. OpenGate Capital Magazine, CBS Interactive, and CBS Corporation. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 12, 2014). "Fox's 'Gotham' Promotes Three to Series Regular". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- Leeds, Sarene (January 5, 2015). "Victoria Cartagena Talks of Breaking Barbara Kean's Heart in 'Gotham'". blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Goldberg, Lesley (May 12, 2014). "Fox's 'Gotham' Promotes Three to Series Regular". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Suarez, Lucia I. (September 22, 2014). "'Gotham' star Victoria Cartagena gushes about 'Batman' prequel: 'I've seen them all'". latino.foxnews.com/. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- McMillan, Graeme (February 9, 2015). "'Gotham's' Victoria Cartagena Talks Montoya's Strength, Sexuality and "Gaytham"". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 25, 2015.
- Ausiello, Michael (August 2, 2015). "Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Big Bang, Arrow, Bates, Sleepy, Castle, Twin Peaks, UnREAL, Gotham, Dome and More". TV Line. Retrieved August 3, 2015.
Matt Mitovich did some digging around and learned that, as suspected, neither Victoria Cartagena nor Andrew Stewart-Jones (AKA Montoya and Allen) will return as regulars