Steven William Victor (born September 6, 1980) is a Haitian-American record executive, artist manager, music publisher, and A&R representative. He is the founder & CEO of Victor Victor Worldwide and SVP of A&R at Universal Music Group. He formerly served as COO of GOOD Music and EVP & Head of A&R at Def Jam Recordings.
Steven William Victor
September 6, 1980
Brooklyn, New York City, U.S.
|Other names||Steven-San Victor|
|Alma mater||Morehouse College|
|Employer||Universal Music Group|
|Known for||Founder & CEO - Victor Victor Worldwide|
|Title||Founder, CEO, and SVP of A&R|
He works closely with a number of artists, including Kanye West, Pusha T and The-Dream, among others. He has also managed The-Dream, Desiigner, Tyga, CashMoneyAP, 16yrold and Pop Smoke among others. He currently reports directly to Universal Music Group chairman and chief executive officer Sir Lucian Grainge.
Early life and educationEdit
Steven William Victor was born on September 6, 1980 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, where he was also raised. He grew up in a multi-family home with his parents and older sister, along with his father's brother and sister's families. He attended Morehouse College in Atlanta from 1998 to 2002, where he graduated with a bachelor's degree in English and Psychology.
Victor began his career in 2003 with an internship at Interscope Records, to which he was later promoted to publicity assistant in 2004, working in public relations for six years. During his tenure at Interscope, he met American rapper and record executive Pusha T, which at the time was one-half of the hip hop duo Clipse. He formed a mutual relationship with Pusha, becoming the publicist and manager for Clipse, and later solely Pusha. In late 2015, Pusha T became president of GOOD Music, with Victor becoming COO of GOOD. In late 2016, he was appointed SVP of A&R at Universal Music Group, while simultaneously holding his position at GOOD. At this time he also started to manage Tyga, The-Dream, and Desiigner, the latter of whom he formerly signed to GOOD and Def Jam Recordings. He also founded his record label and music publishing company Victor Victor Worldwide as a joint venture with Universal in late 2016. In October 2017, he was named EVP & Head of A&R at Def Jam, reporting to then-CEO Paul Rosenberg and replacing his position as SVP of A&R at Universal. In August 2019, he left Def Jam and transitioned back to his previous position at Universal, focusing on his label's joint venture with them.
Victor Victor WorldwideEdit
|Victor Victor Worldwide Inc.|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founded||November 3, 2016|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
Los Angeles, California
Victor Victor Worldwide Inc. (formerly d/b/a as Victor Victor Records or simply Victor) is an American record label and music publishing company founded by Steven Victor, who is also the CEO. It is a joint venture between the label and Universal Music Group, giving Victor Victor the power to sign an artist to a joint venture recording contract with their label and any other label under the Universal umbrella. Victor Victor also has the same joint venture structure with Universal Music Publishing Group for their publishing entity, effectively making the label and publishing company subsidiaries of UMG as a whole.
Notable acts signed to Victor Victor include the late American rapper Pop Smoke and rapper Ski Mask the Slump God, both of whom are concurrently signed to Republic Records. Victor Victor has also notably signed record producers 16yrold, CashMoneyAP, and YoungKio (with Cash Gang) on the publishing side (concurrently with UMPG). Former notable artists signed to the label include American rapper D Savage, who was initially signed to Victor Victor and Republic and later jointly with Capitol Records and Virgin Music before departing.
Victor Victor also runs the management firm William Victor Management Group, managing artists Pusha T, The-Dream, CashMoneyAP, and 16yrold, among others. A majority of the artists signed to the label are managed by the firm itself.
In June 2020, the label launched a philanthropic division titled the "Victor Victor Foundation", with Victor pledging to donate $1 million to it. Victor himself also donated $25,000 to the "Fund for Public Schools", a nonprofit organization in New York City.
|Artists||Year signed||Releases (under the label)||Notes|
|Ski Mask the Slump God||2017||4||Jointly with Republic|
|Weiland||2020||2||Jointly with UMe|
|Nigo||2021||1||Jointly with Republic|
|Reyanna Maria||4 (singles)|
|Young Devyn||1||Jointly with 4th & B'way and Island|
|Autumn||1||Jointly with Casablanca and Republic|
|Artists||Years under the label||Releases under the label||Notes|
|Don Zio P||2017–2018||5 (singles)||Jointly with Republic|
|D Savage||2017–2019||2||Jointly with Capitol and Virgin, formerly jointly with Republic|
(Honcho Da Savage)
|2017–2018||1 (album as Honcho Da Savage)
1 (single as 12 Honcho)
|Jointly with Def Jam, formerly jointly with Republic|
|Pop Smoke||2019-2020||4 (2 posthumous)||Jointly with Republic; deceased, died from home invasion in February 2020.|
|Summrs||2021||0||Jointly with Capitol|
|Act||Years under the label||Releases under the label||Notes|
|As part of Victor Victor Worldwide (Recording)|
|16yrold||2017–present||5 (singles)||Jointly with Capitol, formerly jointly with Republic; joint publishing with UMPG|
|Axl||2020–present||1 (singles)||Jointly with Republic; joint publishing with UMPG|
|As part of Victor Victor Music (Publishing)|
|Rico Beats||2017–present||N/A||Jointly with UMPG and StarLife; co-manager of Pop Smoke & 808Melo|
|CashMoneyAP||2 (Atlantic singles)||Jointly with UMPG and Cash Gang; signed as recording artist to Atlantic Records|
|YoungKio||2019–present||N/A||Jointly with UMPG and Cash Gang|
|808Melo||Jointly with UMPG|
- Victor Victor Worldwide is a joint venture between the label and Universal Music Group, giving Victor Victor the power to sign an artist to a joint venture recording contract with their label and any other label under the Universal umbrella. Victor Victor also has the same joint venture structure with Universal Music Publishing Group for their publishing entity.
- "Steven Victor Named SVP A&R at Universal Music". Billboard. November 9, 2016.
- "'Come Watch the F*cking Sharks': Def Jam's Rap Camp Experiment". Complex.
- "40 Under 40: Music's Top Young Power Players Revealed (2018)". Billboard. October 18, 2018.
- "Steven Victor named EVP, Head of A&R at Def Jam". Music Business Worldwide. October 17, 2017.
- Olsen, Patricia (July 14, 2017). "An Office Built Around Hip-Hop". The New York Times.
- Aswad, Jem (August 14, 2019). "Steven Victor Shifts From Def Jam to Focus on Joint Venture at Universal (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Ivey, Justin. "Steven Victor Named Senior Vice President of A&R at Universal - XXL". XXL.
- "Steven Victor on managing Pusha T, mourning Pop Smoke and building VVW | IDEA GENERATION Ep.10" – via www.youtube.com.
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-victor-4165306[self-published source]
- Jones, Biz (September 6, 2019). "Pusha-T Salutes The "Shot Caller + Play Maker Of" His Music Career: "It's Only Right You Drown In Success"". SOHH.
- "Pusha T is the new president of G.O.O.D. Music". Fact. November 9, 2015.
- "Steven Victor Named SVP A&R at Universal Music". Yahoo Finance.
- "MC Don Zio P reveals new single "Hallelujah" featuring Déjà Vu • WithGuitars".
- "DON ZIO P RELEASES NEW SINGLE "SWITCH"". 360 Magazine | Art + Music + Design + Fashion + Auto + Travel + Food + Health + Tech. September 1, 2017.
- "Steven Victor Joins Def Jam as EVP, Head of A&R". Billboard. October 17, 2017.
- Ivey, Justin (October 18, 2017). "G.O.O.D. Music's Steven Victor Named Def Jam Executive VP & Head Of A&R". HipHopDX.
- "VICTOR VICTOR WORLDWIDE INC. :: New York (US) :: OpenCorporates". opencorporates.com.
- "Victor Victor Records Archives". 360 MAGAZINE | ART + MUSIC + DESIGN + FASHION + AUTO + TRAVEL + FOOD + HEALTH + TECH.
- "Victor - Republic Records - Download and listen to albums". Qobuz.
- "REPUBLIC RECORDS NAMES JIM ROPPO EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT & GENERAL MANAGER". Universal Music Group. January 5, 2018.
- "Steven Victor: Hip-Hop Power Players 2017". Billboard. September 14, 2017.
- Ju, Shirley (October 8, 2018). "D Savage Prepares to Unleash D Phoenix at Union (Now Called Catch One)". LA Weekly.
- Ju, Shirley (September 9, 2019). "Music Pick: D Savage". LA Weekly.
- Baker, Jonas (August 14, 2019). "D Savage: The Young Megastar". Kazi Magazine.
- "UMG Executive Steven Victor Pledges $1 Million For New Philanthropic Venture". Billboard.
- Halperin, Shirley (June 9, 2020). "Universal Music Executive Steven Victor Pledges $1 Million to Launch New Foundation (EXCLUSIVE)".
- "Weiland by Weiland" – via music.apple.com.
- "Nigo Signs to Steven Victor's Victor Victor Worldwide, Plans Release for New Album". Complex.
- "So Pretty - Single by Reyanna Maria" – via music.apple.com.
- "Baby Goat by Young Devyn" – via music.apple.com.
- "One Way! - Single by Autumn!" – via music.apple.com.
- "Parallel Universe by Honcho Da Savage". March 9, 2018 – via music.apple.com.
- "Depressed - Single by 12 Honcho". December 14, 2018 – via music.apple.com.
- "Undiscovered Gems: Peep These 5 Amazing Artists". February 13, 2020.
- "Motorbike (feat. Jackboy) - Single by AxL". October 6, 2021 – via music.apple.com.