Victor Gauntlett (tennis)
|Full name||Victor Reginald Gauntlett|
|Country (sports)||South Africa|
|Born||30 January 1884|
Dulwich, London, England
|Died||12 February 1949 (aged 65)|
Witbank, South Africa
|Grand Slam Singles results|
|Olympic Games||2R (1908)|
|Grand Slam Doubles results|
|Other doubles tournaments|
|Olympic Games||QF (1908)|
|Grand Slam Mixed Doubles results|
|Davis Cup||QF (1913)|
He competed for the South Africa in the tennis event at the 1908 Summer Olympics where he took part in the men's singles and doubles event. In the singles competition he was beaten in the first round by Josiah Ritchie in straight sets. In the doubles he paired up with Harold Kitson and reached the quarterfinals which they lost in five sets to the British team of Clement Cazalet and Charles Dixon.
Gauntlett reached the finals of the 1908 men's singles event at the South African Championships but was defeated by Harold Kitson in five sets. He was runner-up at the 1908 All England Plate tournament, a tennis competition held at the Wimbledon Championships which consisted of players who were defeated in the first or second rounds of the singles competition. His best performance at a Grand Slam tournament was reaching the third round of the 1913 Wimbledon Championships in which Kenneth Powell proved too strong.
Gauntlett was a member of the 1913 South African Davis Cup team which competed for the first time. South Africa was eliminated in the first round, played on the grass courts of the Queen's Club in London, against Canada (1–4). Gauntlett won the only point for South Africa in his first singles match. He and R.F. le Sueur lost the doubles match and he conceded his second singles match.
- South African Who's Who. Ken Donaldson. 1913. p. 157. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "player – Tennisarchives.com". www.tennisarchives.com. Retrieved 24 April 2020.
- "Victor Gauntlett". Olympedia. Retrieved 12 April 2021.
- "Victor Gauntlett Olympic results". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020.
- Alan Little, ed. (2011). 2011 Wimbledon Compendium. London: The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. pp. 493–497. ISBN 9781899039364.
- "Davis Cup – Victor Gauntlett player profile". ITF.