This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Vicaria (Italian: residence of the Viceroy), often known as Il Vasto, is one of the 30 quartieri of Naples, southern Italy, lying immediately to the east of the historical city centre (Centro storico).
It borders the districts of Poggioreale, Zona Industriale and San Lorenzo, which together with Vicaria make up the 4th municipality of the city. It also borders the district of San Carlo all'Arena, in the 3rd municipality.
Vicaria comprises a relatively small area, 0.72 km2. It had a population in 2009 of 16,369 inhabitants.
It takes its name from the eastern section of the Via dei Tribunali (the "street of the courthouses"), in the neighbourhood of San Lorenzo, once known as the "Via della Vicaria", since the Vicaria (the still-prominent Palazzo Ricca at the east end of the street) housed the main tribunal under the Spanish viceroys.
- not "vicarage" in the ecclesiastical sense
- Comune di Napoli: Atlante statistico dell'area napoletana, p.18
- Comune di Napoli: Bollettino di Statistica - 2009, p.64]
- Storiacity.it: Zona Vicaria Vecchia (in Italian)
- Napolipiu.com: Come nasce il detto o trummetto a Vicaria (in Italian)
- Napolitoday.it: Pare a trummetta a Vicaria (in Italian)
- Storienapoli.it: Etimologia e storia di tutti i quartieri di Napoli (in Italian)
- Napoliflash24.it: Immigrazione: Quartiere Vicaria detto il Vasto e Licola, Stato dove sei! (in Italian)