Via dei Georgofili bombing
The via dei Georgofili bombing (Italian: Strage di via dei Georgofili) was a terrorist attack carried out by the Sicilian Mafia in the very early morning on 27 May 1993 outside the Uffizi in Florence, Italy.
|Via dei Georgofili bombing|
The Torre dei Pulci, the main target of the bombing
|Location||Florence, Tuscany, Italy|
|Date||27 May 1993|
The via dei Georgofili bombing was carried out with a Fiat Fiorino packed full of explosives, parked near the Torre dei Pulci, between the Uffizi museum and the Arno River. The edifice was the seat of the Accademia dei Georgofili. The large explosion caused the death of five people: Angela Fiume (36 years old), employee and caretaker of the Accademia; her husband Fabrizio Nencioni (39 years old), policeman; their daughters Caterina Nencioni (50 days old); and Nadia Nencioni (nine years old); and Dario Capolicchio (22 years old), a junior student at the architecture class at the university. Forty-eight other people were injured by the blast. The tower and other buildings were destroyed and others damaged, including the Uffizi Gallery, where three paintings were heavily damaged or destroyed, including Adoration of the Shepherds (1620) by Gerard van Honthorst (later partially recovered).
After Corleonesi Mafia clan boss Salvatore Riina was captured in January 1993, numerous terror attacks, including this one, were ordered as warning to its members to not turn state's witness, but also in response for the overruling of the Article 41-bis prison regime.
- "Quel boato che squarciò il silenzio della notte: Firenze ricorda la Strage dei Georgofili". la Repubblica (in Italian). 2018-05-26. Retrieved 2020-08-07.
- Delavaux, Celine (2012). The Impossible Museum: The Best Art You'll Never See. Prestel. pp. 86–9. ISBN 9783791347158.
- The Olive Tree of Peace: The massacre in via dei Georgofili Archived 14 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine, The Florentine, 24 May 2012)
- Bravi, Alessandra. "Spatuzza: Firenze, perdono E cita Dell'Utri e il premier". Il Corriere della Sera. RCS.
- (in Italian) Cronologia Centro Siciliano di Documentazione "Giuseppe Impastato"
- Si pente il sicario di don Puglisi, La Repubblica, 15 October 2008.
- Gianluca Monastra (22 January 2000). "Ergastolo a Totò Riina per la strage" (in Italian). la Repubblica. Archived from the original on 8 April 2014.