Verfassungsblog (lit. 'constitution blog') is an academic blog published in German and English, which focuses on the constitutional law of Germany and Europe in general. It was founded on 30 July 2009 by Maximilian Steinbeis and is now published in cooperation with the Berlin Institute for Advanced Study and Humboldt University Berlin.
Maximilian Steinbeis, a Berlin-based lawyer and journalist, opened the blog on 30 July 2009, stating that his blog was the first German-language blog on constitutional law. Beginning as a personal blog, Steinbeis soon invited others to publish their contributions on the website. The blog initially focused on German law, eventually broadening its focus to constitutional law in Europe. In 2011, it began to cooperate with the Berlin Institute for Advanced Study. Verfassungsblog publishes content in four categories: blog posts, debates between multiple scholars, podcasts, and an editorial section. It is open access and all content published on the website receives a DOI for long-time archival. More than 1,000 people have published on the blog; contributors include Jürgen Habermas, Pedro Cruz Villalón, Giuliano Amato, and Yuval Shany. As of 2020, Steinbeis is still the chief editor of the blog.
The "Recht im Kontext" research association's external evaluation described the blog as "one of the most interesting and most widely read forums for constitutional law and policy" and a "must read" for legal scholars who research constitutional law in Europe. The School of Transnational Governance at the European University Institute described the blog as "one of the leading blogs on constitutional law in Europe". Der Tagesspiegel described it as "an important discourse platform for European law".
The 2020 European Commission rule of law report stated that Verfassungsblog is "A widely read platform for discussions on rule of law related topics [that] has gained in importance over recent years and has become a forum for both domestic as well as European discussions on the rule of law."
- Henze, Hendrik. "Verfassungsblog | On Matters Constitutional". Verfassungsblog. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- Dalkilic, Evin. "What we do". Verfassungsblog. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- "Hallo Welt!". Verfassungsblog. 30 July 2009. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- Herbold, Astrid (19 February 2015). "Kurz und persönlich". tagesspiegel (in German). Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- "STG Fellows meet Maximilian Steinbeis, editor of Verfassungsblog". European University Institute. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- Steinbeis, Maximilian. "Our Authors". Verfassungsblog. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- Hörnle, Tatjana; Möllers, Christoph; Wagner, Gerhard (2020). Gerichte und ihre Äquivalente. Nomos Verlag. p. 8. ISBN 978-3-8452-8158-2.
- European Commission rule of law report 2020, chapter on Germany, page 12
- Bundesgerichtshof. "Urteil des VI. Zivilsenats vom 18.12.2018 – VI ZR 439/17 –".
- "Sąd Najwyższy, II PO 3/19".